Cancelled/postponed trips due to COVID - please share your outcomes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm also on that MV Ambai with Wallacea Dive Cruises trip April 1-12. Or I would be, if they hadn't cancelled it.

I'm very disappointed with their response. They want us to pay a 20% penalty on our reservations because they cancelled our charter. And rebooking comes with a bunch of strings attached:
  • Only if we all travel as a group (looks impossible given our differing work commitments).
  • Those of us that can go will pay them thousands of dollars extra for a shorter trip.
  • Their offer is non-transferable, so those of us that can't go will simply lose all their money.
  • No additional rebooking is allowed for a trip which is more than a year away. So again, anyone who gets sick or has to drop out will lose their money. And unlike a new charter, we can't buy travel insurance to cover even the risk that *would* normally be covered.
The other operators I'm working with are offering full 100% rebooking (no penalty), for up to 2 years out.

Given how many dive operators are out there and how sketchy dive travel may be for the next few years, I do not recommend booking with Wallacea. I'd far rather go back to any of the other boats I've ever been on. If COVID rears its head next winter, I know those boats will take care of their customers. Wallacea, on the other hand, I have no faith in.

I'm very sorry to hear about your cancelled charter with Wallacea. I was fortunately/unfortunately on the last charter before operations halted. First Indonesia closed the borders days before the charter (but luckily all of us had been traveling in Indonesia before the pandemic was declared) and made domestic travel a bit tricky. I was so relieved to be on the boat despite all of the uncertainties. They went the extra mile to help other people on my charter get there from Bali when they were having difficulties. They were nothing but extremely supportive of us during the uncertain time and reassured us that they would not leave us stranded. When we got back into port from our charter, most people had new return flights back with the help of their travel agents and working directly with Wallacea. I was the only one who didn't have flights back and they did not abandon me when I had nowhere to go for a few days. I am forever grateful for their help and support. I was able to catch the last flight out of Sorong ever since it turns out. I was so happy going on an operation that wasn't part of a big franchise for the first time, and they didn't disappoint. I found out from them that several members of the Indonesian liveaboard association signed a document that states that people will be able to reschedule their charters, but not for free and they cite the reasons that were given to outofofficebrb above. They are not the only liveaboard company taking fees - there are around 36 different operations in Indonesia that are doing the SAME THING. Please keep this in mind. They are a lovely operation. We are all going through a very difficult time right now - the WHOLE WORLD.

I'm very sorry to hear about your cancelled charter with Wallacea. I was fortunately/unfortunately on the last charter before operations halted. First Indonesia closed the borders days before the charter (but luckily all of us had been traveling in Indonesia before the pandemic was declared) and made domestic travel a bit tricky. I was so relieved to be on the boat despite all of the uncertainties. They went the extra mile to help other people on my charter get there from Bali when they were having difficulties. They were nothing but extremely supportive of us during the uncertain time and reassured us that they would not leave us stranded. When we got back into port from our charter, most people had new return flights back with the help of their travel agents and working directly with Wallacea. I was the only one who didn't have flights back and they did not abandon me when I had nowhere to go for a few days. I am forever grateful for their help and support. I was able to catch the last flight out of Sorong ever since it turns out. I was so happy going on an operation that wasn't part of a big franchise for the first time, and they didn't disappoint. I found out from them that several members of the Indonesian liveaboard association signed a document that states that people will be able to reschedule their charters, but not for free and they cite the reasons that were given to outofofficebrb above. They are not the only liveaboard company taking fees - there are around 36 different operations in Indonesia that are doing the SAME THING. Please keep this in mind. They are a lovely operation. We are all going through a very difficult time right now - the WHOLE WORLD.

I'm so pleased to read your post. I've been a big fan of theirs and so this news of them failing to reimburse was quite a blow to me, even though I'm not financially affected by it.

Who was your cruise director? I'm trying to find out if Daniel still works for Wallacea.

Hi, everyone. I have an update.

Our half charter contract is with the agency we booked with and the agency then has a contract with Wallacea. According to our agent's agreement with Wallacea, Wallacea is not under any obligation to issue any refunds, etc. to the agency but given the situation at hand and our agent's persistence :heart:, were finally able to come up with a resolution that was acceptable and fair for all parties involved.

Well that's great news, but I'm confused - wallacea didn't have to give anything back to the agent at all and they still offered to rebook you with only 20% fee, so you got to keep your 80%? I know that stings, but that sounds pretty generous to me. I've only been leading trip since 2003 though so what do I know...

Our agent is helping to soften the blow by offering us a 10% discount on the new/rescheduled sailing and other financial incentives for future bookings if we decide to take the deal. We'd still owe hundreds of dollars for a trip that is shorter by 1 day next year as well. A chargeback is possible as we all paid with credit card but our agent's agency would then take the hit and they are NOT the problem.

Below is what our group put together for our agent to communicate to them and they still refused. Please feel free to use any of these points for your own negotiations with whoever you are having issues with.

Facts:
  • The divers have each paid for their trip 100%.
  • None of the divers are requesting a refund. They are asking for a reschedule without additional payment.
  • The April 12 sailing next year is 1 day shorter and less expensive by a couple hundred dollars. None of the divers are requesting the difference, just a reschedule.
  • Raja Ampat Marine Park closed which did not allow Wallacea to sail. As a result, Wallacea had to cancel the trip.
  • The closure is due to COVID, something that is out of Wallacea and the guests’ control and an unforeseen circumstance.
  • Wallacea is only offering 80% of the trip cost value towards a reschedule and is requesting the divers pay an additional amount ($774-$1,471 USD per person depending on cabin).
  • Almost all other liveaboards and resorts are offering 100% credit or rescheduling without requiring extra payment..
I just replied to someone else's post that brought up the same thing. I'm going to put what I replied here as well so you also see it. I'm very sorry to hear about your cancelled charter with Wallacea. I was fortunately/unfortunately on the last charter before operations halted. First, Indonesia closed the borders days before the charter (but luckily all of us had been traveling in Indonesia before the pandemic was declared) and made domestic travel a bit tricky. I was so relieved to be on the boat despite all of the uncertainties. They went the extra mile to help other people on my charter get there from Bali when they were having difficulties. They were nothing but extremely supportive of us during the uncertain time and reassured us that they would not leave us stranded. When we got back into port from our charter, most people had new return flights back with the help of their travel agents and working directly with Wallacea. I was the only one who didn't have flights back and they did not abandon me when I had nowhere to go for a few days. I am forever grateful for their help and support. I was able to catch the last flight out of Sorong ever since it turns out. I was so happy going on an operation that wasn't part of a big franchise for the first time, and they didn't disappoint. I found out from them that several members of the Indonesian liveaboard association signed a document that states that people will be able to reschedule their charters, but not for free and they cite the reasons that were given to you. They are not the only liveaboard company taking fees - there are around 36 different operations in Indonesia that are doing the SAME THING. Please keep this in mind. They are a lovely operation. We are all going through a very difficult time right now and we're all in this together. I suggest rebooking with them after COVID-19 and you'll have an excellent time with a great crew and operation.

I'm so pleased to read your post. I've been a big fan of theirs and so this news of them failing to reimburse was quite a blow to me, even though I'm not financially affected by it.

Who was your cruise director? I'm trying to find out if Daniel still works for Wallacea.
Well, they are offering 80%, which seems pretty generous. I think they could've taken more. I know it hurts a little, but as we're all in this together, it also helps to keep all of these operations from going under....and then none of us will be able to enjoy the lovely wonders that are waiting underwater. Clement was my cruise director - he was great! He had super detailed briefings, did a wonderful job of mixing a variety of dive sites, and worked well with our ever-evolving plans during a pandemic. It couldn't have been easy having to change plans all the time when we weren't allowed to go on land partway through the trip as a new rule during COVID-19. I have nothing but good things to say about Wallacea's operation on the Ambai.

Hello
I am French and I discovered the messages on your forum; I am in the same case (we are 6 to be exact). Wallacea retains 15% on our payment for a cruise from the end of April to the beginning of May in Rajat Ampat Indonesia. We have indicated our disagreement imputing that COVID 19 forbids us to fly (flight cancelled anyway) and that we would like to postpone this cruise at no cost as most do (checked on the internet about 10 ) tour operator or dive travel provider).

That's a really amazing and outrageous decision.; their reason is, as for the other people in this forum, that they have fixed costs ... and so do we as divers and citizens!

the terms and conditions (they have changed (before a special report about COVID 19) and now the paragraph disapeared) on the Wallacea site do not mention penalties in the case of force majeure (such as Covid 19).

We tried to take legal action because French law protects us but Wallacea is a structure based in Indonesia and therefore outside the legal scope of French law.
Beyond the fact that we warn all traveling divers of the unacceptable conditions of Wallacea and doinc to avoid this provider, we will try again to negotiate but their last email was unequivocal. Do you think that a collective action of all the people concerned could have an impact and make them change their decision? Sorry if my English is not very correct.
Kind regards to all of you

It sounds like you got 5% less penalty for being a French.

I know this had been posted in another thread already but because of its impertinence I wanted as much people as possible to get to know.

Another three divers here extremely disappointed by Wallacea Dive Cruises’ policy. As part of a group of eight on a half-charter, we were scheduled to be on the MV Ambai on a 100% paid-for trip from 1-12 April.
Wallacea Dive Cruises cancelled
it as the MV Ambai did not sail due to Raja Ampat marine park closing before our trip was due to start.

Wallacea Dive Cruises effectively advised that it is not financially feasible for them to offer their customers „free-of-charge“ reschedules. Instead, here is what Wallacea Dive Cruises expects us to put up with:

- no refund, even though they cancelled
- a 20% cancellation penalty
- an 80% voucher for a trip next year that is one day shorter
- voucher cannot be transferred to other parties/guests, so if for unforseen reasons you cannot go you cannot even pass on your spot but will lose all your money
- trip cannot be rescheduled unless they cancel (not specifying what penalty they may choose to apply then)
- voucher not valid if the company is no longer financially able to honour it

Our group paid them a 100% of the price, and is now supposed to pay hundreds of dollars per person on top of that; for a shorter trip; and only if we manage to coordinate eight people again to go as a group next year (otherwise we will lose even more money, and those who cannot go will lose all of it).

Given all the above, needless to say that our dealings with Wallacea Dive Cruises so far have severely affected our faith in this company. Under the current circumstances, we cannot recommend Wallacea Dive Cruises to anyone, and would not book with them again.

Some of us had bookings with another operator (Aggressor) who was proactive and offered a 100% reschedule for a similar trip next year (at the same price paid for the cancelled trip even though this was on a 25% discount).

Update on MV Ambai/ Wallacea Dive Cruises

Hi everyone, glad to provide an update on our half-charter trip with Wallacea Dive Cruises: Our agency has gone out of their way to support us, and successfully worked with Wallacea Dive Cruises to reach a fair solution for everyone. We are happy things have worked out for all parties involved and this matter has now been closed.

Well, they are offering 80%, which seems pretty generous. I think they could've taken more. I know it hurts a little, but as we're all in this together, it also helps to keep all of these operations from going under....

are you serious thinking that?

Update on MV Ambai/ Wallacea Dive Cruises

Hi everyone, glad to provide an update on our half-charter trip with Wallacea Dive Cruises: Our agency has gone out of their way to support us, and successfully worked with Wallacea Dive Cruises to reach a fair solution for everyone. We are happy things have worked out for all parties involved and this matter has now been closed.

I'm glad to hear that. The pressure of Social Media seems to work. So your group and outofofficebrb group are the 2 groups for the same trip?

Back
Top Bottom