Cancelled/postponed trips due to COVID - please share your outcomes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I read it as him saying because he's local he should get better treatment than foreigners re getting a refund, I could be totally wrong though :)

I have an update to the outcome I previously posted. Bay adventures (travel agency) contacted me yesterday. Despite the fact that I called to cancel before the final payment deadline, they had an offer for me. They (or the resort, I'm not sure) offered to apply my $400 deposit to any trip I book to the same destination (Anthony's Key Resort) before December 2021. Sweet!

That was pretty awesome of them, I was okay with losing the deposit as that was the arrangement in the first place (non-refundable). So.. shout out for Bay Adventures and Anthony's Key. They stepped up and helped me (and others who had booked the SB invasion trip).

Now I just need to find a few friends that want to go to Honduras with me once there's a vaccine!

Maybe those of us that had the Roatan trip canceled can arrange something on our own. I was going solo and I really don't want to go alone (I will if I have to)

Booked the MS Royal Evolution May 28 trip through Dive The World. By March 20 it was clear to me the whole world is going into lockdown and travel between countries is tricky if even possible. Don't want to pay the balance and risk not able to go at the last minute, I request either cancellation or reschedule through Dive The World. Of course it is up to the operator but Dive The World was acting as the go-in-between. It took a few e-mails of convincing, at the end they agree to a reschedule to another date (2021).

This isn’t international, but it’s not local to me. My Memorial Day weekend trip to dive wrecks on Lake Huron out of Port Sanilac, MI (6 hour drive from Chicago area) has been cancelled by the charter op. I’ll have the credit on my account within a day or two (same company operates my local boat) and I was able to cancel motel. Didn’t lose a dime.

Update from Toby Enqvist, United Airlines Chief Customer Officer:
"...

Good news as you're making travel plans

Life is unpredictable in lots of ways right now. We know many of you started the year planning to fly with us to visit family, go to a game or concert, attend a trade show or just get away. And you might be feeling anxious about what to do about your upcoming travel plans. That's why we've waived the fees to change or cancel any trip with us through the end of 2020, including travel that was already planned as well as trips that you're hoping to take in the future. Every customer now has until May 31 to make changes to current reservations or book new flights that can be changed or canceled without a fee, and you'll be able to reschedule your trip for anytime in the next 12 months. So take the next few weeks and do what's best for you, your family and your work.

Good news for when you choose to fly

Safety has always been our top priority, and because of that, the social distancing and cleaning procedures that have become a way of life for all of us are now staples of the way we run our airline. When you're ready to fly, you'll see that a lot has changed at the airport and on board our aircraft. We're boarding fewer customers at a time and starting from the back of the plane to avoid crowding in the gate area, on the jet bridge and in the aisle. We're automatically blocking middle seats to give you enough space on board, requiring all our employees on board, including our flight attendants, to wear masks and, in early May, making masks available to our customers. Of course, these measures are in addition to our state‑of‑the‑art sanitization procedures like cleaning our aircraft with electrostatic sprayers, and extra precautions like taking our employees' temperatures before they start work to protect the well‑being of our customers and colleagues. Find a complete overview of what's changed at United to adapt to this new normal...."

For cancellation of my Roatan invasion trip, Alaska Airlines was awesome. I had booked my American Airlines flight thru them using my miles. They asked no questions when I called to cancel my flight reservation and refunded my miles and all the fees minus the non-refundable $25 booking fee.

Hello,
I hope my translation is correct , sorry of my rehearsal, but I just found the right topic

We had planned a getaway for a few years on tubbataha, in april, the trip of a lifetime for a european. Last year; on a snub stupidly the intermediaries, thinking of making some savings, and on a treaty directly with the boat mv dolphin / dolphinbaydivers. A friend had cruise on this boat.

Very few exchanges with Jan the dive master, since he is on a cruise during the week. So no answers possible during the week end , 3 words: yes, no, transfer here, ...
It is not very reassuring ....
In short,
I send 60% in October, by transfer to Tauber's account (the boss) ... a personal account? Okay

The Covid arrives;

I question them in March, and his return: boat at quay, no cruise.

of course ; so what?

So, postpone the cruise to next year, but ask for the remaining 40% of the cruise + 50% more for next year ....

50% for the boat that does not move with its staff and divemasters.

The cruise costs 1950 euros ; 50% I find it violent. … for two = 1950 euros more …

Return : 40%, negotiation . And if I find that the cruise is too expensive I can make myself their hotel (the Dolphinbayresort) or consider another cruise.

I share my "disappointment"
Yesterday, they offer me 30%

I would love your feedback, a little more experienced. I made myself well scammed

40% from 1950, which means that my cruise, if it takes place, next year, will cost me more 6000 euros (for two)
It does not make sense !

this cruise is offered by dive providers, so i guess they are serious. So i can't understand.

Now; I feel stupid, and stuck. Even if I endorse this 30% extra; I don't see myself on the boat next year to dive with a guy, who has just scammed me, at least that's my current feeling.

Dan: There is another option with United which we just chose. We canceled our flight which was booked before March 2nd for a November Micronesia trip. Just not comfortable leaving the country (US) this year. What we received was an electronic credit certificate for the full value of our tickets. We can use that value any way we want for flights for us or, for example, our kids to come home for the holidays. It's like a gift card. As long as we book whatever remaining value we still have by 24 months from the date of the credit certificate, we're ok. So, we could book using this credit up to May of 2022 for travel as far out as April of 2023. This offer was just extended until May 31 and might even be extended beyond that. It's for current flights scheduled through the end of 2020. Not a bad deal considering.[/QUOTE]

Dan: There is another option with United which we just chose. We canceled our flight which was booked before March 2nd for a November Micronesia trip. Just not comfortable leaving the country (US) this year. What we received was an electronic credit certificate for the full value of our tickets. We can use that value any way we want for flights for us or, for example, our kids to come home for the holidays. It's like a gift card. As long as we book whatever remaining value we still have by 24 months from the date of the credit certificate, we're ok. So, we could book using this credit up to May of 2022 for travel as far out as April of 2023. This offer was just extended until May 31 and might even be extended beyond that. It's for current flights scheduled through the end of 2020. Not a bad deal considering.
[/QUOTE]

I have eight of those! Just a few cancelled flights.

Booked the MS Royal Evolution May 28 trip through Dive The World. By March 20 it was clear to me the whole world is going into lockdown and travel between countries is tricky if even possible. Don't want to pay the balance and risk not able to go at the last minute, I request either cancellation or reschedule through Dive The World. Of course it is up to the operator but Dive The World was acting as the go-in-between. It took a few e-mails of convincing, at the end they agree to a reschedule to another date (2021).

Hi! I'd love to log this. What country was this sailing to? Thanks.

This isn’t international, but it’s not local to me. My Memorial Day weekend trip to dive wrecks on Lake Huron out of Port Sanilac, MI (6 hour drive from Chicago area) has been cancelled by the charter op. I’ll have the credit on my account within a day or two (same company operates my local boat) and I was able to cancel motel. Didn’t lose a dime.

Hi! I'm happy to include any and all, even if it's local to you, because it might apply to someone else who isn't local who might be using that same op. If you're interested in sharing the specific op, let me know, and I can log it. :)

Hello,
I hope my translation is correct , sorry of my rehearsal, but I just found the right topic

We had planned a getaway for a few years on tubbataha, in april, the trip of a lifetime for a european. Last year; on a snub stupidly the intermediaries, thinking of making some savings, and on a treaty directly with the boat mv dolphin / dolphinbaydivers. A friend had cruise on this boat.

Very few exchanges with Jan the dive master, since he is on a cruise during the week. So no answers possible during the week end , 3 words: yes, no, transfer here, ...
It is not very reassuring ....
In short,
I send 60% in October, by transfer to Tauber's account (the boss) ... a personal account? Okay

The Covid arrives;

I question them in March, and his return: boat at quay, no cruise.

of course ; so what?

So, postpone the cruise to next year, but ask for the remaining 40% of the cruise + 50% more for next year ....

50% for the boat that does not move with its staff and divemasters.

The cruise costs 1950 euros ; 50% I find it violent. … for two = 1950 euros more …

Return : 40%, negotiation . And if I find that the cruise is too expensive I can make myself their hotel (the Dolphinbayresort) or consider another cruise.

I share my "disappointment"
Yesterday, they offer me 30%

I would love your feedback, a little more experienced. I made myself well scammed

40% from 1950, which means that my cruise, if it takes place, next year, will cost me more 6000 euros (for two)
It does not make sense !

this cruise is offered by dive providers, so i guess they are serious. So i can't understand.

Now; I feel stupid, and stuck. Even if I endorse this 30% extra; I don't see myself on the boat next year to dive with a guy, who has just scammed me, at least that's my current feeling.

I want to make sure I'm understanding it correctly. You wire transferred the fees for the trip directly to the owner or staff of the boat in an effort to save some money and remove the middle man. You paid for 60% of the trip cost in Oct 2019 but the trip to Tubbataha was canceled this year due to the lockdown. They want you to pay the remaining balance and are willing to reschedule you to next year if you pay 50% more. You countered 40% and now they are offering 30% on top of the original trip price. Is that correct?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom