Canadian Tourist Killed in Honduras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There have been problems recently with fires in Honduras and the airports have been intermittently closed, so its possible that the bus was the only way to go.

That said, I recall an early visit of my own to that part of the world (in 1979). We were in Punta Gorda (in southern Belize) en route to Roatan. We were planning to travel by bus into Honduras to San Pedro Sula. The local Belizeans told us we would be crazy to take the bus because there were many "banditos" along the road and that they would chop off your hand to get the watch off your wrist. We took their advice and their referral to a guy who flew us, in a dilapidated single engine plane, over the mountains to SAP (for $100, which even then seemed cheap). In retrospect, we never knew which was the riskier choice.

It's a fact.....crime does happen in Honduras, mainland and Bay Islands. It also happens everywhere else! Particularly in Texas. It would seem that posting the information is informative and serves to make travelers much more aware of their surroundings while traveling abroad. And yes, give it up if they want to take it at knife or gunpoint. Also, lots of divers travel by bus throughout Central America. I have done it myself. Tons of Europeans are always traveling by bus in Central America. Highway robbery on the roads in Honduras is nothing new.
It is very sad that a life was lost. Discussion is a good thing.

Regards,

Before traveling in South America, my family and I have always taken off any jewelry except for an el cheapo watch, and hidden cash on our persons. It's just common sense. While walking in Caracas, a friend had her Raybans snatched right off her face. These people are bold, quick, and desperate. They will do anything. I agree with RoatanMan - let'em have the stuff. It's just stuff. Especially if they have guns. It was very valiant (and, as we see now, foolish) of the kid to try to protect the girl. I wonder if he thought they were going to kidnap her? Can't imagine any other reason to intervene.

RoatanMan:
All in all, not much to concern yourselves with, at least not on the streets of the Bay islands, pretty much so Mayberry RFD by comparison. On the mainland however(outside of the airports) including La Ceiba, Belize City, Tegus and others... stay in the airport, Sparky.
use taxis and the first class bus system (Hedman Alas, etc). Anything else is asking for problems. I live here permanently. I've been here three years. I NEVER use the cheap "chicken buses." My life is worth more than the 30 Lempira fare. I use first class buses when I have to travel. I'll spend the money for the safety. My teenage daughter and I have traveled throughout Honduras and have never had a problem. What to we do? First class buses, older not so stylish clothing, no expensive jewelry, valuables carried in delapidated looking bookbags, etc. I've taken the bus to La Ceiba to catch a ferry for Roatan for snorkeling and diving. For us it hapens to be cheaper to take the bus and ferry than flying from SPS to Roatan.

tvictory:
There have been problems recently with fires in Honduras and the airports have been intermittently closed, so its possible that the bus was the only way to go.

have been open for over a month now. The bus was a personal choice of theirs not mandated by airport closures.

lsudive:
Before traveling in South America, my family and I have always taken off any jewelry except for an el cheapo watch, and hidden cash on our persons. It's just common sense. While walking in Caracas, a friend had her Raybans snatched right off her face. These people are bold, quick, and desperate. They will do anything. I agree with RoatanMan - let'em have the stuff. It's just stuff. Especially if they have guns. It was very valiant (and, as we see now, foolish) of the kid to try to protect the girl. I wonder if he thought they were going to kidnap her? Can't imagine any other reason to intervene.
Sexual assault? That's how I read it.

Doc, umm, Roatan Man, sorry to see people chalenge what you are saying... again. I have been raised and grown up in "third world" countries. If you do the smart things and not the stupid things you will be fine. I personally have spent four trips at Coco View, Roatan - yes Doc, umm, Roatan Man, we have met! I have great things to say about Honduras and as far as Roatan goes I have great things to say about the kind and caring people who live there - better than most people in large USA cities! Anyone spent any time in the wrong part of LA?

Not to discount the situation of the traveler being killed but I find it interesting to read stories of how dangerous it is to travel in these other countries. What about South Central Los Angeles? What about the market district of San Francisco? Umm, down town Seattle? Anyone ever been in the projects in Dallas or St Louis Missouri? How about little Havana in Miami?
Just because we are in America does not mean that there are no issues here. I have traveled extensively in third world countries and have never had a problem. I have however had my life threatened at gun point in Los Angeles.

Common sense.. If you use common sense you will be fine.

Just my opinion

Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom