Can you repair a compass?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maulotaur

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have a Scuba Choice retractor compass that is a couple of years old. It seems to find magnetic north OK when facing westerly. When facing in an easterly direction, it is off about 10 degrees. I have tried some searching here and on Google without much success.

There was a funny post here about using a nail to try to refill the liquid, but that does not apply here. It is totally full without any bubbles. I am thinking that the center post might be jimmied. If you hold it off-level a bit (when facing easterly), it points correctly.

Thanks!

seeing it is $46 on Amazon Prime, I'd likely get a new one that hopefully works properly....

FWIW - it is $26 for the wrist model. Could you pop it out of the bracket and swap them?

Yeah, I know it is not that expensive and if it can't be done I'd buy new. I do not see an easy way yet of separating the compass from the mount.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom