Can you recommend a light $500 -Primary use for lobstering

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ft.lauderdale diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My UK D8 flooded on a night dive and now am in the market for a new one. Reading lots of posts. I now live in Ft. Lauderdale so 99% of my diving will be in warm clear waters. I want a light that I can use when lobstering--something primarily either hand/wrist momountable or something that I can use hands free. Also will use for wreck diving and typical night dives.

I was checking out niteride swiftwater 800 and the 3000. The 3000 appears to have somewhat outdated technology---still using halogens vs led, yet appears to be more powerful that the more modern swiftwater 800.

Has anyone ever used these and can recommend. Or recommend alternatives?

Remember Primary use

Max budget $500
South Florida/Florida Keys
Lobstering
Hands free and/or wrist mountable.

Thanks! I need one soon so help me please! :D

Last edited:
For clear Florida water I'd go with LED over HID. Check out this deal on the DiveRite 500 Corded LED light for $398:

Dive Rite 500 LED light at www.DiveSeekers.com

LT6079-500-2.jpg

Just add a Goodman handle and you're ready to go...

Skip is having a big sale at Force E. I vote for a 10 watt HID... Intova makes a GREAT 5W LED (dual intensity) back up light for about $50. It might be all you need. For @ $100 you have a primary and a spare.

Posted via Mobile Device

You can get a 10watt Dive Rite HID for 499 most places.

The DR 10w HID has been discontinued in favor the 15w HID for a while now. Very nice improvement, twice the lumens of the 10w. Still a bit fragile for hardcore lobstering IMO.

For clear Florida water I'd go with LED over HID. Check out this deal on the DiveRite 500 Corded LED light for $398:

Just add a Goodman handle and you're ready to go...

Nice light, very rugged, you can pound nails with it.

Back
Top Bottom