Can you lay tile?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Speargirl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I would like to put some tile down but my floor is 3/4" plywood ? I know it's wood and it's on the floor and it's not thin wood. Question can I lay tile down without a concrete backer board down first? My house is on stilts if that means anything.
Thanks
Becky

I would like to put some tile down but my floor is 3/4" plywood ? I know it's wood and it's on the floor and it's not thin wood. Question can I lay tile down without a concrete backer board down first? My house is on stilts if that means anything.
Thanks
Becky
3/4" plywood is the recommended floor base for laying tile... It is ready for tile... if it is bare...

Not sure if this counts, but I removed a ceramic tile floor from my kitchen.
The tile was laid over a 1/4" underlayment that was on top of 3/4" plywood sub-floor.
There was no cement board used in my home on any of the floors.
All I can say is that putting down a ceramic floor is much easier that taking it up 15 years later.
Jim Breslin

Thanks CT :D I just got some new tile and want to lay it. At Kawama's Townhouse I was told to put backer board but that got really expensive. I was laying marble not tile maybe that's why they told me that and it was on the walls & floors in the bathrooms.
I'm happy :D I will be knee deep in grout for the next week or so.:blinking:

Not sure if this counts, but I removed a ceramic tile floor from my kitchen.
The tile was laid over a 1/4" underlayment that was on top of 3/4" plywood sub-floor.
There was no cement board used in my home on any of the floors.
All I can say is that putting down a ceramic floor is much easier that taking it up 15 years later.
Jim Breslin

Once I get this down it will never come up as long as I live here.:)

Thanks CT :D I just got some new tile and want to lay it. At Kawama's Townhouse I was told to put backer board but that got really expensive. I was laying marble not tile maybe that's why they told me that and it was on the walls & floors in the bathrooms.
I'm happy :D I will be knee deep in grout for the next week or so.:blinking:
unless it's in the shower itself... you will be in the safe range... splash is different from full shower... :14:

I wasn't quite sure what to make of the title of this thread when I saw it at first. Until I read it and found out you were seriously asking a serious question. Perhaps the bit of adult beverage I had earlier this evening has also messed with my mental capacity a bit too.

It still is funny though. :)

I wasn't quite sure what to make of the title of this thread when I saw it at first. Until I read it and found out you were seriously asking a serious question. Perhaps the bit of adult beverage I had earlier this evening has also messed with my mental capacity a bit too.

It still is funny though. :)

I removed it before a mod did. But I thougth it was funny.

Like cool tech said if the plywood is bare and clean it should be ready.
Just make sure you have no movement if it's nailed down you might want to consider adding some all weather deck screws 2" should work to make sure you will have no movement of the sub floor.:smash:

My personal preference is to always put down an underlayment over a plywood floor. Cement board is my favorite, but 1/4" luan plywood works too. Just make sure you buy the right cement to go with the type you picked. But before you do that, make sure the plywood is secured to the joists below as well as can be. If the plywood wasn't glued down when the house was built, use screws like augk said, and lots of 'em! A floor can never be too stiff for tile!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom