Can you give me a reason to NOT buy APS Mantaray?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Down_Bubble

Registered
Reaction score
after searching around for a while, I'm very interested in these fins.

are there negative experiences with these fins here? Any Downsides to them?

Please don't give me an answer of "You shouldn't get the mantarays because you should get these fins instead". Let's keep this strictly APS.

I've never read a review of these fins that said that they were anything short of superb. Any differing opinions here?

I dive a pair in white. They do not perform as well as my BioFins, but for confined water diving, I like them. They are light weight, and have held up well other than the discoloration.

My biggest complaint is that my white fins are no longer white, but rather dirty. UW one would never know this, and my buddies say these things stand out like the sun!

Great Outdoors - Six Gill Fins

$49 at Scuba.com, at least that was the advertized price several days ago.

From what I have read, they are virtually the same fin, invented by the same man. I have a pair that I just used in Cozumel for 17 dives. Worked well and are small enough to fit in a carry-on bag.

They do well in forward direction but they are very sluggish and draggy when you move your feet side to side. Too much effort to manuever for my taste. I didn't think they were good on my feet. I dive like a bumble bee, going from spot to spot twisting and turning a lot along the way. These fins made it hard for me to put my feet where they needed to be for my next kick.

A good point was brought up. They are shorter than most fins so they fit in your travel bag easily. So do the MorFin Delfins (my favorite fins ever).

They do well in forward direction but they are very sluggish and draggy when you move your feet side to side. Too much effort to manuever for my taste. I didn't think they were good on my feet. I dive like a bumble bee, going from spot to spot twisting and turning a lot along the way. These fins made it hard for me to put my feet where they needed to be for my next kick.

A good point was brought up. They are shorter than most fins so they fit in your travel bag easily. So do the MorFin Delfins (my favorite fins ever).

funny, you're the only person who's said that. Every other review I've read said that they were extremely maneuverable.

Great Outdoors - Six Gill Fins

$49 at Scuba.com, at least that was the advertized price several days ago.

From what I have read, they are virtually the same fin, invented by the same man. I have a pair that I just used in Cozumel for 17 dives. Worked well and are small enough to fit in a carry-on bag.

I wonder why he went with another company? Did APS go bankrupt recently?

hey, Down, I love my APS Mantarays..... made in SanDiego area so local to you... these are my second pair of fins and I switch to them as old set was heavy and my legs cramped in our cold water... have not had any problem with leg cramps since I changed.... Only draw back was I noticed right away that they were harder to stop forward movement compared to my old set.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom