can you compare dive sites on Bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Promised myself will give feedback after the trip but had absolutely no wish to do that. Finally after half year getting over the experience.
Let's put it this way - The thing with Riding Rock at SanSal is not right. May-be they have changed the way how they handle the matters but I was not the only one who had problems with booking diving. The worst was that they didn't appology and didn't accept they had made the mistake. Finally we got our 10 dives but wanted 17, they didn't depart with only 2 of us. We had no choice when or how many dives per day, so we ended up with sitting in the hotel for 4 days doing nothing. The dive people couldn't suggest any nice snorkelling sites either but those were anyway far away from the hotel, a car/golf trolley should be rented to get there. It all was sad, sad, sad... being the only guests in the whole resort.

Diving was on the side of island where Cocburn town is. The coral cover is not the greatest (But I'm spoiled with Indonesian best places), it's really dying fast. The wall was ok and some dramatic coves and arches were nice as well. Not much fish or schools of fishes (again spoiled you know) but quite some few sharks swam by which was impressive. The funny thing was that at once my rented dive computer beeing extremely concervative compared to fellow divers, started showing 3-5min to go higher, the sharks appeared. The sad thing was I had to swim 3 m higher that the others all the time due to that, so didn't saw much of bottom life. There were very many lion fish.

Conclusion: after having some 5-6 full snorkelling days with Earth Watch, 10 dives and 4-5 snorkellings by the Riding Rock at San Sal, the reality was that we saw more fish (shark, many young rays, octapuses, flat fishs, eals, green and hawbill turtles) and better during the snorkellings than during the dives.

What somehow helped to remember the trip in better light was the experience during last snorkelling over the empty sandy bottoms of resort with a nursing shark swimming by at 2 m from me. My husband was some distance away, the shark was cheking him by 1m!

If San Salvador is considered one of the best for diving in the Bahamas, so it has to be. We will never go back there, that's for sure.

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that. We have been to San Salvador 2x in the last 10 years staying/diving with Club Med (they call it Columbus Isle) and it was drop dead wall diving, vis, etc. I'm not as much of a 'joiner' as my DH/Buddy is (Iwould prefer not to share my dinner table with people I dont know for example), but the diving operation was outstanding. The only annoying thing was they required a doctor's note from home or a checkout by their doc before diving started. Other than that we enjoyed tremendously and would go back again.

Back
Top Bottom