Can you coil your reg hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BPaith

Registered
Reaction score
Another dumb question here. I bought a small 'American Tourister' bag at Walmart for $7.00 to store my reg in. It's small enough that I have to coil the hose for the reg maybe one or two times.......just wanted to see if there is any downsides to this? Don't want to hurt the hoses on a brand new reg!

Another dumb question here. I bought a small 'American Tourister' bag at Walmart for $7.00 to store my reg in. It's small enough that I have to coil the hose for the reg maybe one or two times.......just wanted to see if there is any downsides to this? Don't want to hurt the hoses on a brand new reg!

Unless you are coiling them incredibly tightly it should be no problem. Even then I'm not sure it would be bad.

Actually you should not coil them for storage. For a short period of time such as transporting them they will be fine otherwise they will develop a memory and will want to bend in the manner of the tight coil they have been stored in.

Just be concerned if they bend at too great an angle at the ends (where they connect to the first or second stage). Otherwise, worry not.

For Northern Hemisphere travel, coil clockwise, for Southern Hemisphere travel, coil counter-clockwise......

That's another reason to pack your reg in a carry on instead of checked luggage. If you're crossing the equator, you can re-coil it in flight.

As long as you do not coil the hoses tightly there should be no issues, and no memory issues either. Our regs have lived in their carry bags (about 16 in by 12 in) for over 20 years with no problems. This size of bag means only about 1 coil is required for any hose. We are always careful to ensure no kinks or sharp bends.

I think we need a poll on clockwise or counterclockwise.

Depends on hose ports in the first stage and whether you are right or left handed and what side of your mouth your tongue tends to stick out when you put them in. And don't forget moon phases. They can wreak havoc on coiling.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

dont forget the tides can cause issues with direction of coiling!!!
tide comming in coils to the left!!
tide going out coils to the right!!!!

Actually you should not coil them for storage. For a short period of time such as transporting them they will be fine otherwise they will develop a memory and will want to bend in the manner of the tight coil they have been stored in.

I don't buy this. New hoses come coiled (not tight but coiled nonetheless) my reg have been loosely coils while stored for 4 years with no issues. What is your opinion based on, and what is your recommended alternative?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom