Can you Buy Insurance For Underwater Camera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rocksolid

Registered
Reaction score
I just bought the under water case for my Canon Power Shot s50. Now I want to know if anyone sells Insurance incase it floods. Any info would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Rocksolid:
I just bought the under water case for my Canon Power Shot s50. Now I want to know if anyone sells Insurance incase it floods. Any info would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Vicencia & Buckley

There are at least 2 agents that you can get flood insurance from. DEPP and H2O (through PADI -I think). DEPP will cover anyone worldwide but H2O is for US resident only, as far as I know. Here is a link for DEPP http://www.equipmentprotection.com/programs/depp.html

I don't have a link for H2O since I don't use it but may be someone else can post it.
If you do search in this forum, there are also quite a bit of information regarding both programs, the pros and the cons etc.

I just re-newed my DEPP coverage for the 8th year. There have been tales lately about DEPP changing what they will cover. While I had them on the phone, I asked the young lady about several scenarios, ie....the DM drops my rig when handing it to me or I drop it handing it up to the boat, I drop it and it bounces off the sidewalk, the airlines lose it or severly damages it, everything I could think of. She assured me that they have changed nothing about their policy since I had first signed on with them. Every one of the scenarios I asked about would be covered as long as I had a letter written by the dive op verifying what happened, if it's a flood I have to present the camera/strobe whatever to them as proof it's toast. I also asked about my options if my C-5050 gets flooded but I don't want to upgrade to a C-5060. I would be free to find a replacement C-5050, either new or used, and buy it out of my pocket. hey would then reimburse me up to the amount the camera was covered for. One reason not to be cheap when deciding how much tcoverage to carry. This is the only case where they make an exception and pay you. (As you may know, DEPP replaces your gear, not pay you.) You can buy used from a friend, from eBay, online...doen't matter.

Their policy is still no deductable unless it's flood damage, then it's $25 or 10% of the repair/replacement, not to exceed $250.

Thanks Everyone, This was all Very helpful Advice. I am going to have to look into it this week. Anyone ever had a flood with a canon case?

I'm looking to get some flood insurance for my camera, and the two most highly regarded seem to be the one offered by DAN and DEEP.

Let me know if I've got any of this wrong. Dan gives you money if the camera floods, and DEEP replaces the camera. DEEP also covers above-water incidents like theft, but DAN has diver injury insurance.

My question is how does DEEP's replacement policy work? Right now, my camera is getting hard to find, and if my (Oly 5050) camera floods in a year it probally won't be available anywhere. Will DEEP replace it with the newer model? What about the actual replacement procedure, do they send me a new camera, or do I buy it, and send them the reciept and get reimbursed?

Also (roughly) how do the yearly costs between the two compare?

-Steve

We all have the DAN stuff and my buddy just had to make a claim after he had a Canon A80 in a Canon housing flood. He paid the deductible ($250) and they sent him a check for the rest.

Hi BioG,

The situation you asked about just happened to me, with a few small differences. (I have insurance through DEPP)
I had an Oly 4040/Pt-010 housing. Last August, it flooded.
I called DEPP, and they told me to ship it to a specific camera repair place, to "verify the loss".
I did as they asked,and a few weeks later, I was notified by email, that the loss was "verified". I called DEPP,and, as the 4040 was out of production, was given the options that Dee has outlined. I chose to go with the 5050, and told them that.
A few weeks later, a brand new 5050 arrived-direct from the merchant. DEPP had purchased one, and had it shipped to me.
Shortly thereafter, I got a bill from DEPP for the 10% deductible.(The price of the 5050 was,at that point comparable to that of the 4040 when I purchased it-or I would have had to also pay the difference.)
I sent DEPP a check,and emailed the serial number of the 5050, to add it to my policy. Overall, I was very satisfied with the way the entire situation was handled.
One thing regarding the time frame-my flood occurred on my last trip of the season (Warm water wimp that I am) so the time lag until I got the replacement was no big deal.
You may want to check with others to see how quickly it can be done "in midst season".
Good luck,
Mike

the problem with depp is that you have to send in the item within 5 days. I might still be traveling and not back home within 5 days, much less unpacked and ready to deal with a flooded camera.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom