Can this actually help equalizing!????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tndash

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So, I have lately been posting some cool news about diving after an IEBT or PLF, but came across this video today. It was suggested to this person to use a balloon to inflate and swallow to improve eustachian tube function.

My question is to any docs,(mike:)), or ENTs out there is can this actually help?
The exercise is right in the beginning of the vid:

I did comment on her valsalva move to hopefully prevent her from hurting herself later, but really want to know if this exercise would help. Thanks all.

So, I have lately been posting some cool news about diving after an IEBT or PLF, but came across this video today. It was suggested to this person to use a balloon to inflate and swallow to improve eustachian tube function.

My question is to any docs,(mike:)), or ENTs out there is can this actually help?
The exercise is right in the beginning of the vid:

I did comment on her valsalva move to hopefully prevent her from hurting herself later, but really want to know if this exercise would help. Thanks all.

I didn't watch the whole video but yes, that is a real device, and yes, it can help clear middle ears on the surface when used properly. We've also used them in the hyperbaric chamber.

Best regards,
DDM

Is it a plain ordinary balloon or a special one ? If so, where is it possible to get some ? I've diving for almost 30 years now and have never heard of this technique. It seems the perfect one for a relative of mine.

I just bought four cases of them today - we sell these at cost ($15) to families for kids who have chronic middle ear fluid in an attempt to avoid ear tubes. They do work and there is literature support for them being better than just waiting (which also helps).

That having been said, they are really for young children who can’t do a good valsalva maneuver. That’s what they really do, they are an incentive device to help kids who can’t blow their noses yet. Also helpful for kids with air travel issues. The balloon isn’t special, it’s the little plastic gadget at the end.

No reason why a diver couldn’t use this, but you are probably better off just learning to do a good gentle Valsalva and Toynbee maneuver to deal with middle ear barotrauma. I wouldn’t use it in cases of inner ear injury, PLF, etc...

It's just a little thing that makes a seal against your nostril on one side, and holds the balloon on the other side.

otovent.jpg

It's really hard for a kid under 3 to do it. Of course, even if they can't blow up the balloon, just trying does the same thing.

The balloon is sort of an incentive device - they can make a game of it by seeing how big they can get the balloon. Much younger than three and I would be worried about the risks of a balloon in terms of foreign body aspiration. Balloons are potentially deadly with small children, and you have to make sure that the parents know to keep them away from younger siblings.

Thanks for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom