Can the DS-125 be used with a Oly C3040 and PT-010?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dvleemin once bubbled...
Hi,
More specifically, can the TTL part of the DS-125 be used with the C3040 and PT-010?

Also, where is the cheapest place to find these?

Thanks,

Darryl

Should work just fine. Just make sure that you cover the built-in strobe of the camera on the outside of the housing. The cheapest place to get the strobe that I've seen is at Adorama . You can also try B&H PhotoVideo, they have good prices and service as well.

-Roman.

Thanks,

OK, so how does that work? I was looking at a pic of the ds-125 on Ikelite's site, and I saw the slave sensor, which looks like it should be pointing at the camera's internal flash, but not covering it. So the pt-010 has that little plastic piece you can screw in front of the flash. Is that all you have to do?

I remember before there were people talking about problems with strobes firing correctly because of some sort of pre-flash the Oly camera's had. Is this the case at all?

Thanks,

Darryl

The TTL sensor of the DS-125 simply looks at the strobe, it doesn't cover it. One of the main reasons for covering the built-in strobe is to prevent its light from causing the backscatter effect. By blocking the built-in strobe on the front of the housing you're preventing the light from the built-in flash from lighting up the particles in the water, while still allowing it to be reflected up to the sensor. The sensor does not need to be pointed at the small flash head-on to work. I'm not that familiar with the PT10 housing, but make sure that the white plastic thing covering the flash is not translucent. Most likely it's simply a diffuser. You may want to cover the front of it with black tape and allow the back (the side facing the camera's flash) to reflect the light up to the sensor. The pre-flash is something that a lot of digital cameras use. It's a short flash that goes off right before the camera takes the actual shot and is used to measure exposure. A regular strobe will trigger off the 1st flash, and will not fire when your built-in flash actually fires to take the shot. DS-125, as well as some other newer strobes that were designed specifically for use with digital cameras, have built-in circuitry that takes pre-flash into account and does not misfire too early.

-Roman.

The best way to block the 3040's internal strobe is with Ikelite's flash blocker designed for the Ikelite housing. It has a spring loaded collar that fits around the lens barrel of the housing and puts an opaque deflector right in front of the PT's diffuser. Work's like a charm. It is sold as a part by Ikelite.

I didn't realize that the Ikelite blocker would fit over the PT10 port. Good bit of info to know. dvleemin, a clarificatin if I may - if you go the Ikelite blocker route, naturally make sure you get the blocker for the Olympus housing that Ikelite makes. The blockers for different Ike housings have the opaque plate in different places around the port, depending on the location of the built-in flash in a particular camera.

-Roman.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom