Can someone tell me what model this poseidon reg is?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi, I could sure use some help, too, please. There is a cyklon set on ebay the seller tells me is 4 years old:

Item number: 290113653964

I'm interested in this set as a first reg

a) what model number could it be? Does it matter?
b) how does this compare with Jetstream/Odin set-up (I dive Monterey [cold], currently rent most gear)
c) can these be scrubbed well for nitrox if I want to get into that, or should I go for another reg
d) are these easier or harder to have annuals versus Jet/Odin

Thanks, Todd

It appears to be a later model set of Cyklon 5000s, it's usually a dead giveaway seeing the black plastic mouth tube. The innards have been the same in the 2nd stages for a looong time.
The first stages are where cold water mischief begins to start in a reg & there isn't any appreciable difference in the Cyklon & Jetstream 1st stages as far as cold performance.
Ice water or water temps down into the 40s indicate using an anti-freeze cup on the critters, along with a shot of rum or vodka.
Viton service kits are readily available for about $20 more than a standard kit. Poseidon doesn't really endorse enriched air mixes except in the Xstreams but they still make the Viton kits for folks that want to live on the wild side. :wink:
Cyklons can handle about the most brutal abuse of any reg on the market & the 2nd stages are so simple you wonder how it can work with so few parts inside.
My Cyklon 300s are still going strong after 30+ years & the parts are readily available, not too many regs can make a claim like that.

Bob3:
That's a very early model Cyklon 300; the difference can be seen on the "nut" where the hose assembly meets the mouth tube. Old ones are smooth, newer ones are "knurled".
The model number of the 1st stage is located inside the DIN wheel, you'll need to remove the A-clamp adapter to see it. It's in all probability a #2305.
If his local Poseidon distributor can't fix him up with parts kit, give a yell. We have more old stuff here than the Smithsonian.
The #2305 1st stage takes a #3884 kit.
All the 2nd stages still use the same kit, #3551. Even the ones that are +30 years old.
Ain't they great? :wink:

Thanks Bob, i manage to get it serviced and got many parts change..... i can tell u it not cheap!!! By the way, it it possible to know when it was made? Also the guy who service it told it that "smooth nut " where the hose assembly meets the mouth tube shows that the regualtor is hand made....is it true??

Joe

When i say that the service is not cheap ....i mean not the serice kit but the parts change due to neg wear and tear

I better not get into quoting parts price differences between AU & the US, but the Poseidon kits are less expensive than Apeks, at least here in the US.
If the guy knew about the "smooth nut" vs knurled it's a good sign, it shows he's familiar with the critters.
I'm not all that up on which/when parts of the regs & reg building moved from Ingvar Elfström's kitchen table to his garage, & then to a shop, but I'd have to say that the goodies were made more or less by hand for quite a while.
The dating of the reg is done by looking at the first number of the serial number, which on the 1st stage is right out in the open on the side of the body & on the 2nd stage is probably hidden by the mouthpiece, if it has a S/N on the 2nd that is. Some didn't.
If your S/N is 38586 it looks like a date of 1973 which is the 2nd year the 300 bar [Cyklon Super] regs came out.
In 1963 there was a "half-height" 1st stage & in 1983 it would've had a knurled nut.
It's only 34 years old, just getting warmed up for a Cyklon. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom