Can' really understand....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Like I said it depends on preference.

If somehow you are into Paper Pygmy Seahorse, then Bunaken seems to be able to find this critter consistently.

The Paper Pygmy at Derawan Jetty might be seasonal.

For me no such this as BEST. All about what I feel like doing.

For some it might be all about "time". If all they have are 4 days off, then nearby and convenient destinations are great.

Can't imagine travel 2 days there, dive 1 day, rest 1 day, 2 days to get back. Does not fit the time schedule.

Cocasana: I had exactly the same impression you had on my second trip to Manado 3 years ago; I had fond memories of my first visit and did not recognize the dive sites: no fish, corals just ok etc.

Gave it an other try last summer (I live in Singapore so Manado is quite accessible) and we had a very good time and very good diving with lots of reef fish, brilliant macro and a even a couple of eagle rays and a large school of barracudas.

I would say the quality of yout trip to Manado depends very much on who you dive with and what time of the year you go.

Yes frogfish - as I said I think it has improved over the last 2 years. They are still finding new sites and the "old" ones seem to be replenishing. I also agree with time of year and who you dive with. The "fish soup" was in July at full moon.

Macro - amazing stuff Manado-side. And "all around you". Seriously - check out www.lumbablumbadiving. Their jetty area is amazing. Writing up the log is a nightmare - you see so much and then so much is odd and can be difficult to identify. Then there are the robust ghost pipefish - now I know why they're called robust. I was looking at a pair of them unable to believe they weren't two strands of weed - because they were so large!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom