Can' really understand....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cocasana

Registered
Reaction score
I've been diving for a week in Raja Ampat around Kri and Fam islands, and a week in Bunaken.
In south east Asia I've been to the Mergui, Surin, Similan, Komodo Rinca ecc, and now a small bite of Raja Ampat
Bunaken is -IMHO- the less interesting place between the one I saw under every point of view (big stuff, small stuff, corals, biodiversity, water, health of place). Sometimes I was even tempted to skip diving feeling that I was loosing my time. The friends with whom I was diving thought the same.
The dive master and the guides thought they were quite all right dives for Bunaken standards.
I really can't understand why Bunaken is still so famous! Maybe ten years ago...!?
BTW, no doubt, Raja Ampat is the best for sure. IMHO, naturally...
Best regards
Carlo

cocasana:
It seems nobody has an answer...!

But you did not ask a question, only stated an opinion!

I would say Bunaken is indeed "OK", but not as good as nearby Lembeh. This will depend what you are looking for. Bunaken is great for newer divers or " 2 week a year" divers. Also has some very nice resorts such as Tasik Ria Resort.

Lembeh is a little gem. New divers may not "get" muck diving, but if you are looking for something new, Lembeh is the place. A resort such as Lembeh Resort has dive sites close by off the beach or by boat (resort and diving run by Murex)

As for Raja Ampat, my buddy Paul will be going on a trip very soon on the Adventure Komodo liveaboard, although his trip will not cover Raja Ampat we'll get a good idea of the boat, which is a very nice one. Many of their trips do dive in that area.

As for me, still stuck in the office.

"I really can't understand why Bunaken is still so famous!"

With a bit of immagination looks to me like a question!
I've never dived in Lembeh, and I heard its "the place" for muck diving. Also if there is a dive spot in front of Manado Tua on the main land whose name Betlem (better then Lembeh) named by a famus underwater British photographer whose neme I forgot (but I can find it out if you want) apparently its even better.

I've always heard that if you are looking for rather small to rather big stuff you should go to Bunaken. While if you are looking for muck diving you should go to Lembeh.
I haven't been to Lembeh. But in Bunaken, where I've dived 16 times, there is very little of everything. At least in the places and in the moment I've dived there. On the other hand I've dived with quit a bit of plastic bags ecc around me, a lot of boats going up and down on my head, and very little (repeat: very little) of big/medium/small stuff. Corals were quite normal, where not totally destroyed by anchors and divers.

So... At the end the questions could be:
Is there out there somebody who dived in Bunaken (recently) and was really satisfied
of his dives?
Where did he dive?
What did he see?

Thank you so much
Carlo

When did you last dive Bunaken? And I wonder where - there are many dive sites, including a few up one end that have suffered damage some time ago.

And at what depth? And under what conditions? At fast drift it can be difficult to "see" much until you get more used to it. Moon phases also play a part in what you may see.

I think that the standard dipped somewhat about 2 years ago, but this year showed a considerable improvement. The diversity was terrific (July 05) and at times it was like diving in fish soup.

I would also be interested to know who you dived with. Did they show you the best I wonder.

I was staying at the Minhasa Lagoon and I was diving with them. The dive spots were the most famous of Manado and Manado Tua (I'm sorry but I can't remember the single names). Almost never found current; anyway I've already dived several times in really strong current and never had problems (till now), to mantain the right depht looking around myself at the same time (have you tried Socorro?). Diving from 0 to 54 meters. I was there between the 1st and 8th of November.
No fish soup and nothing terrific that time!
Best regards
Carlo

Raja Ampat best ...

What happens if :

I want to swim among Hammerheads in South East Asia... then Layang Layang.

I want to go through caverns of turtle bones and shell... Sipadan Turtle Tomb.

I want to dive with swarms of Mantas... Sangalaki

I want to have endless bottom time of macro... Derawan Jetty

I want powerful currents with endless schools of Eagle Rays and Barracudas... Big Fish Country Maratua

We all have our preference. Cocasana is equally allowed to say what is best.
Who is to say Red is nicer than Green???

Recently they found a kind of Pgymy sea horse around Bunaken, it is paper thin... although I thought I have seen something similar at Derawan Jetty. So again in boils down to preference.

2nd to davidlkh's comments...it all goes down to individual's preference & sometimes luck...i was in apo reef recently where the diving is known for it's big fish action & >50m viz but was disappointed..blame it on my luck!!

as for bunaken, been there 3 times 2 years ago (with eco divers) & was relatively pleased with the diving...beautiful walls & the small fish & critters life were still good then..can't comment on the rather big stuff, don't think i seen any of that cos' my eyes were always on the reef..lol

the other reason why i think manado is so famous with local divers is becos' almost every dive shop here run trips there....easier to get to & cheaper definitely..

At the end of the first msg i wrote:

BTW, no doubt, Raja Ampat is the best for sure. IMHO, naturally...

So its obvious that I was speking of my own preferences.
Its also obvious that I wasn't comparing places I've been; The highlights you are pointing out are -anyway- rather well know, you can find them where ever on the net they are speaking of diving in S/E Asia; but did I wrote I pretended to see Hammerheads, or swarms of Mantas in Bunaken? No, check!

BTW they found few pygmy sea horses in Raja Ampat that are naminig in these days and a unknow shark last year named Raja something.

Once again I couldn't find anybody able to tell me that her/his dives in Bunaken were unforgettable!

was relatively pleased with the diving...beautiful walls & the small fish & critters life were still good then..can't comment on the rather big stuff, don't think i seen any of that cos' my eyes were always on the reef..lol

the other reason why i think manado is so famous with local divers is becos' almost every dive shop here run trips there....easier to get to & cheaper definitely.

Here we are:
relatively pleased So you had rather nice dives there few years ago!
And than comes what I thought too: Manado is famous just becouse its a rather cheap tourist destination.

BTW: actually I was rather lucky because the walls were still there!

Thanks wahlaoeh!

Back
Top Bottom