Can only dive 50ft, is it worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nick Briseno

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey guys so I had a major injury last year in which 3 of my ribs are titanium now on my left side, I also lost 20% of my left lung, and a lot of other stuff. I really wanted to start diving because its something I have been wanting to do for years but just have not gotten around to it, now at this point in my life I am back in the shape I was in before my injury and I'm 22 about to be 23 so I am still pretty young. First things first yes I went and got cleared by my dr.'s before I even decided to make this thread. My bone dr told me that I can only dive 50ft or a little over it but no more because of the pressure it will put on my rib cage. I still want to dive but idk if you can really see a lot at that depth. Please give me some info on what I can expect at that depth. Thank You
Nick

There's a lot of fantastic diving in the 20-30 foot range, even here in the USA. Several places in the Keys, and around the Eastern coast of Florida have some of the best reef dives in the country/world in less than 50 feet of water. Big fish, little fish, pretty fish, sharks, reefs, rays, you name it.

Totally worth it, in my opinion.

In the tropics the most colorful part of the reef is in the shallows. People snorkel shallower than that and find it totally worthwhile, so why wouldn't it be even more worthwhile on scuba?

There are jetties in driving distance, (Destin, Panama City), the keys have great shallow diving as well as the Bahamas which is a stones throw off of Florida's east coast. There is plenty to see in that range with no need to go further down.

Nothing wrong with diving shallow, usually better visibility and as Quero mentioned it is the most colourful part of the reef as it is nearer the surface. Longer dive time as you will consume less than diving deeper.

If you are fit then go for it.

Did you mention to your doctor you were going to be SCUBA diving? I sounds like he thought you would be free-diving, where you how hold your breath and dive down, then resurface. In SCUBA diving, you are breathing air at ambient pressure, no matter how deep you go, and there will be no pressure on your rib cage. You may want to get a second opinion from your doctor, after you've explained that to him or her. Also have him contact Divers Alert Network (DAN). They have tons of medical information concerning diving.

If you dive in places where the bottom is 50 feet or less, there will still lots of things to see. In addition, your air lasts longer when you are shallower, and the light is better, as well.

I highly recommend you have your "bone dr" contact DAN.

Good luck,

Ron

Did you mention to your doctor you were going to be SCUBA diving? I sounds like he thought you would be free-diving, where you how hold your breath and dive down, then resurface. In SCUBA diving, you are breathing air at ambient pressure, no matter how deep you go, and there will be no pressure on your rib cage. You may want to get a second opinion from your doctor, after you've explained that to him or her. Also have him contact Divers Alert Network (DAN). They have tons of medical information concerning diving.

If you dive in places where the bottom is 50 feet or less, there will still lots of things to see. In addition, your air lasts longer when you are shallower, and the light is better, as well.

I highly recommend you have your "bone dr" contact DAN.

Good luck,

Ron
I asked him straight forward in his office "So can I scuba dive?" He said "yeah you should be fine at 50ft or less but any more it might be taking a risk on your rib cage." I never heard of DAN, I think I might call them and talk to them about what he said. I really would like to dive deeper but if thats all I can do medically then I guess there really is a lot you can see at 50ft.

Absolutely it's worth it!!!! Tons to see at shallower than 50 feet, and as everyone says - more natural light! Less color loss, more dive time, etc and so forth. If you like taking pictures as I do, you'll LOVE the shallower depths for those reasons and more!! Quite often, I'd spent all time shooting macro at 40 feet or less, and have been known to annoy a dive buddy or two by spending a good hour at 10-15 feet!! :) Do it, enjoy it, and be happy you're alive and kickin' to have the choice, my friend!!!! Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom