Can only dive 50ft, is it worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey guys so I had a major injury last year in which 3 of my ribs are titanium now on my left side, I also lost 20% of my left lung, and a lot of other stuff. I really wanted to start diving because its something I have been wanting to do for years but just have not gotten around to it, now at this point in my life I am back in the shape I was in before my injury and I'm 22 about to be 23 so I am still pretty young. First things first yes I went and got cleared by my dr.'s before I even decided to make this thread. My bone dr told me that I can only dive 50ft or a little over it but no more because of the pressure it will put on my rib cage. I still want to dive but idk if you can really see a lot at that depth. Please give me some info on what I can expect at that depth. Thank You
Nick

Over 90% of the life in the sea is in the first 33 feet of water along with the best light and visibility. The diving is easy, low impact and you do not need most of the more expensive equipment that most divers use. I would go for it if I were in your place.

Hey guys so I had a major injury last year in which 3 of my ribs are titanium now on my left side, I also lost 20% of my left lung, and a lot of other stuff. I really wanted to start diving because its something I have been wanting to do for years but just have not gotten around to it, now at this point in my life I am back in the shape I was in before my injury and I'm 22 about to be 23 so I am still pretty young. First things first yes I went and got cleared by my dr.'s before I even decided to make this thread. My bone dr told me that I can only dive 50ft or a little over it but no more because of the pressure it will put on my rib cage. I still want to dive but idk if you can really see a lot at that depth. Please give me some info on what I can expect at that depth. Thank You
Nick
There seems to be some confusion, either your Doc did not understand your question or does not understand diving, I would be concerned since it is my understanding that any thoracotomy is an absolute contraindication to diving. I would call DAN and try to find a diving qualified MD in your area so as to get the most bang from your second opinion buck.

Last edited:
There seems to be some confusion, either your Doc did not understand your question or does not understand diving, I would be concerned since it is my understanding that any tracheotomy is an absolute contraindication to diving.
Did the OP mention a tracheotomy?

Sorry to burst any hopes here BUT if a student came to me and had a medical form from the doctor that placed ANY type of limitations on it I could not accept him/her in a class. Too much risk to student and myself to do so. Most responsible instructors will do exactly the same thing. All I want to see on the medical release is that the doctor checked of the correct box .If he writes anything other than " he sees no reason for this individual to participate in scuba diving" this person is not getting into a responsible instructors class. For instructors unsure call your insurance agency and see what they say.
I have had medical releases come in saying "Johnny: can only dive to less than 40' or cannot dive in cold water ..Sorry but that individual is not getting into a class. Get a doctor that truly understands diving and see what he/she says.

Fortunately for the OP, most instructors are not quite so inflexible and unreasonable.

Reactions: D_B
Fortunately for the OP, most instructors are not quite so inflexible and unreasonable.
Fortunate is, possibly, running the risk of a collapsed lung at 50? I'd want a second opinion from a hyperbaracist.

Spd,

I have to disagree that our bodies are the same as neoprene or Styrofoam. Neoprene and Styrofoam have a large amount of air cells throughout the material, and this air can't be equalized, so yes, the neoprene is compressed under pressure, and the styrofoam is crushed under pressure.

For recreational dives, the real issue is the pressure differential between the water pressure outside your body and the pressure inside your body. If you equalize often, you won't feel the pressure, because the pressure inside you is equal to the pressure outside.

Nick,

As your learning to dive, your instructor will teach you how to properly equalize, so the pressure at depth won't hurt your ears or sinuses. You'll learn that with SCUBA, you are supposed to breathe and never hold your breath, so your lungs will also be equalized. When you have your OW cert, you'll be certified to dive to depths up to (down to?) 60 feet.

Ron

I believe you misread what I was putting out there. The last sentence qualifies my statement as to relevance. I agree that in recreational depths, everything being equal, no harm. Deep depths bring on their own issues to people as it does cups and suits due to pressure. Just fodder being thrown in, that's all. :)

Replacing three ribs can be done without cutting the plura?
Cutting the pleura of the lungs ≠ tracheotomy

Many surgical procedures involving the lungs do not necessitate creation of a surgical opening in the trachea.

I will agree with you that it sounds like the OP has had significant surgery on his chest/lungs.

Cutting the pleura of the lungs ≠ tracheotomy

Many surgical procedures involving the lungs do not necessitate creation of a surgical opening in the trachea.

I will agree with you that it sounds like the OP has had significant surgery on his chest/lungs.
Sorry, spell checker problems did not recognize "thoracotomy" and accidentally replaced with "tracheotomy." Good thing we don't give the knife to the computer, eh?

I believe you misread what I was putting out there. The last sentence qualifies my statement as to relevance. I agree that in recreational depths, everything being equal, no harm. Deep depths bring on their own issues to people as it does cups and suits due to pressure. Just fodder being thrown in, that's all. :)

Sorry I missed that last part on your initial post. As I was reading it, I was also working a project at work and listening to a webcast of Pres. Obama's speech he gave at our factory today. I didn't want the OP to think he would have to worry extreme pressure and depth issues he would never hear about while learning to dive.

Thanks for mentioning the Jim Suit. I remember seeing one on a James Bond flick, For Your Eyes Only, and had wondered what it was called.

Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom