Can I take my new reg on an airplane?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

..and never had a problem. I bought a really tough bag to pack my gear in and it's well padded. I leave the computer off and there is no problem with altitude. I've always flown to my destinations with no connecting flights. Connecting flights might increase the odds that you'll get there and your gear won't. Can't really lock anything anymore as they might cut off the lock. I use zip ties and that always makes me a little nervous, but then if the baggage guy wants my stuff, a little lock won't keep him out. I need to get new a good reg bag so I can start carrying on my regs. The more you can carry on the better, I guess.

...if you pack it in your checked baggage is not that it will arrive damaged but that it will never arrive at all. Luggage is lost. Things are stolen.

On my last group trip one of the participants had a brand new wetsuit stolen out of his checked baggage. Two employees of my company had laptops stoln out of their bags on the same flight to London last March. I had a pouch containing my passport, drivers license, a bunch of credit cards and $400 stolen a few years back and there was strong evidence that an airline or airport employee was responsible.

Anything I can't risk losing goes into the cabin with me. I trust no one, especially not airline baggage handlers and the staff of the TSA.

FallenMatt once bubbled...

The reg is mares Axis and with a price tag on it and its simplicity i thought there is really not much risk it wouldn't survive the travel... (packed inside layers of wetsuit and guarded by a stainless steel backplate)

in that case i don't _really_ want to loose my halcyon backplate and wings, quite a bit more expensive than Axis reg...

but somehow i doubt that the screener at the airport will be too happy seeing 6 pounds of stainless steel in my backpack... :/

I never check my BC, regs, computers. Of course I have a Transpac, not a backplate. Still, I don't see how you could really use the backplate as a weapon on an airplane. It's too close inside the cabin to really swing it around.

well .. maybe.. but in the current climate.. with pilots getting a right to carry weapon.. it would make a perty bulletproof vest :)

in short.. those screeners sometimes get wierd ideas that no logic can overcome :)

raviepoo once bubbled...
...if you pack it in your checked baggage is not that it will arrive damaged but that it will never arrive at all. Luggage is lost. Things are stolen.

On my last group trip one of the participants had a brand new wetsuit stolen out of his checked baggage.

My initial idea on how to prevent this would be this:

put the wetsuit on the bottom of the bag. then put some regular clothes over it and on top put a couple of worn (unwashed) socks/underpants.

A thief would think twice then if he would want to go through that bag :D

I pack my complete UW camera in a Pelican 1550 which is the max allowable carry on size. I then use a small SCUBAPro Reg bag to put my regs/computer in. These are the absolute essentials.

This lesson was learned the hard way on a Cathay flight where I never saw my bags until a month after I had returned from my trip. Cathay was nice enough to pay my $35.00 for my inconvenience and they are now on my personal airline blacklist.

Only once in 10+ trips was I ever hassled about the carry on Camera case. It was on a return flight after the dive trip so it wasn't that critical. The surly, Air New Zealand Check-in Attendant made a BIG fuss about it exceeding their allowable carry on weight. At first I protested strongly and that only incited more aggression.
Since she was larger than me, I relinquished and checked it in.

Well many years ago I was one of those "bag smashers" I will tell you this, we always carry on our expensive or fragile things. I never really saw any theft but your luggage is thrown around alot. All cargo areas are not pressurize. Usually the forward bays are and that is where pets go but the aft bay is not and your luggage could very well end up there. Dont bother writing fragile on something because EVERYTHING says fragile on it......lol. Also unpresurized bays are not heated either and at cruise altitude it can get below freezing in there.

MORPHIOUS once bubbled...
Well many years ago I was one of those "bag smashers...... All cargo areas are not pressurize. Usually the forward bays are and that is where pets go but the aft bay is not and your luggage could very well end up there.

What sort of planes had unpressurized cargo bays?

I don't know of any jet-powered aircraft that have any unpressurized cargo bays, since that would require a pressure bulkhead between the cabin and the cargo. With the more or less cylindrical shape of most aircraft it would seem to be easier just to have the whole cylinder at the same pressure.

TIA

Charlie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom