Can I still use these fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrSam

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
A buddy of mine just shipped me a pair of Atomic split fins (open heel). I completely forgot about the difference in sizing from one company to another. I wear a giant/XL in Aqualung fins (9 1/2 - 12 1/2).
The Atomic's are an XL, but XL Atomic fins are sized at 11 1/2 - 13.

I wear a size 9 bootie, and size 9 1/2 mens shoe (no socks, boat shoes) and an 11 with about an inch of wiggle room.

Would the Atomic's be too large for me? If so, is there a way to get them to fit properly?

Thank you

Have you actually tried them on with your boots? Any chance of doing it in a pool? You might be able to use a more rugged boot with a thicker sole like these and get away with it. Akona Deluxe Molded Sole 6 mm Boots (AKBT168)

A buddy of mine just shipped me a pair of Atomic split fins (open heel). I completely forgot about the difference in sizing from one company to another. I wear a giant/XL in Aqualung fins (9 1/2 - 12 1/2).
The Atomic's are an XL, but XL Atomic fins are sized at 11 1/2 - 13.

I wear a size 9 bootie, and size 9 1/2 mens shoe (no socks, boat shoes) and an 11 with about an inch of wiggle room.

Would the Atomic's be too large for me? If so, is there a way to get them to fit properly?

Thank you

Aaaaaggghhhh!!!!! Split fins! You're gonna die!

Have you actually tried them on with your boots? Any chance of doing it in a pool? You might be able to use a more rugged boot with a thicker sole like these and get away with it. Akona Deluxe Molded Sole 6 mm Boots (AKBT168)

Not quite yet. He heard I was strapped for cash and decided to send me his fins to use while getting certified. They are on the way from NC right now (I am in CA).
I will be able to try them in the pool though. I'll check out those boots as well. The ones I have are 5mm if that matters.

Aaaaaggghhhh!!!!! Split fins! You're gonna die!

I was told by my friend to be wary of the fins he's sending me. He said I should be fine in most cases, but he mentioned that if the current is bad, I should strap on my Blades 2 and dive with those.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom