Can I really cut myself out?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman:
Right. Because, "other types' is ultra inclusive of all kinds of diving - much of it not so smart.

"other types" meaning cave diving, wreck diving, deep diving, as i discussed in my post

you would not believe the number of pepole who don't think twice about committing
to a 3-hour deco obligation (what happens if ANYTHING requires you to surface?)
without batting an eye-lash...

and yet....

think diving solo after taking proper precautions is suicide

Snowbear:
Yes. And no, that is not DIR :wink:

hey, i love DIR too, you know that... but i do solo dive

actually... the more i think about it... the less i really want to do it

tribaltim:
How many people really get caught up or entangled in stuff
I did once. The most welcome sight I've ever seen was my buddy coming up behind me to untangle everything.

I had just started diving. It was a local dive at a site i'd been to a dozen times before, and wasn't carrying any cutting implements because I didn't think there would be anything to get tangled in. Now I carry EMT shears and Z-Knife if I go anywhere more interesting than the bathtub.

tribaltim:
not to mention the low vis issue, why would anyone dive in low vis?
Because sometimes that's all we have.

Terry

see, low viz is an acceptable risk for you, becuase it is frequently that way where you live. For me, I would not assume that particular risk. I think you can manage risk by trading one for another. yet, there are certain "sacred cows" it seems to me. I respect DIR but it can be very elititist when sanctioning which risks are kosher and which one are "bad".
Still, I am appreciative of threads like these and plan to get shears although I really hate carrying junk and I have a little knife but started thinking about trying to cut with one hand.

catherine96821:
see, low viz is an acceptable risk for you, becuase it is frequently that way where you live. For me, I would not assume that particular risk. I think you can manage risk by trading one for another. yet, there are certain "sacred cows" it seems to me. I respect DIR but it can be very elititist when sanctioning which risks are kosher and which one are "bad".

I'm not DIR, although I have shamelessly stolen parts that seem to fit.

Still, I am appreciative of threads like these and plan to get shears although I really hate carrying junk and I have a little knife but started thinking about trying to cut with one hand.
The shears are the least-intrusive thing I carry. They're flat, weigh nothing and come with a holster that you can attach almost anwhere. I have mine pop-rivited to some webbing on my BC.

Although the shears will cut pretty much anything, the Z-Knife is more useful when you can't really see what you're cutting or there is a lot of it (wads of monofilament, etc.), since you can just swipe it over the entanglement. The hook part guides whatever it is past the blade, and cuts it.

If you get one, make sure it uses a standard replacable razor knife blade.

Terry

thanks, not labeling anyone DIR or not since they cannot be clear about who is and who isn't either. Is Z knife a design style or brand? I have the little Halcyon knife on the webbing that I use to snag the long hose. maybe I should take it out and look at it.

catherine96821:
thanks, not labeling anyone DIR or not since they cannot be clear about who is and who isn't either. Is Z knife a design style or brand? I have the little Halcyon knife on the webbing that I use to snag the long hose. maybe I should take it out and look at it.
It's a style ... looks like a hook, can't miss getting line to blade, do not need to see what your doing to use it ... http://www.golemgear.com/p-51-diverite-z-knife.aspx

Here is the full line ... http://www.diveriteexpress.com/tools/cutting.shtml

nice, very small. I actually got up and went and looked at my knife for the first time. I have carried it for a couple years and realized I had no idea what kind of edge it has. it is serrated on one side and has a blunt tip. Pretty sharp. Is the tip to use as a screwdriver, or what? looks like what I need to tighten the camera to the housing.
I did get entangled in kelp once. With a buddy who was nowhere in sight I might add. very elastic that stuff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom