Can I really cut myself out?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my Solo course, I had to get out of "simulated entanglements" underwater at least 20 times, though they were all BC/Tank directed. As we were trolling the reef or doing skills, the instructor "tied" me to existing lines or plant life from behind. I had to get out of my BC so many times underwater (weight integrated) that it became second nature.

I definitely have absolutely no qualms about getting out of my kit underater now, but agree fin entanglement would be nasty.

Recently a fully certified Belgian diver drowned in the Oosterschelde estuary after getting entangled in a gill net.

She and her instructor buddy swam into the net in low viz circumstances at 24 meters depth. Even though she had logged some 390 dives she panicked, struggled violently and reduced visiblity to zero in the process. The instructor couldn't calm her and had to go to the surface for help. Back down they found she had taken off her entangled gear and headed for the surface, only to be snagged again by the knife attached to her leg.

Without getting into all the other aspects of this tragic accident: this goes to show the INCREDIBLE treacherousness of monofilament nets. The things are pure evil.

ArthurGerla:
Without getting into all the other aspects of this tragic accident: this goes to show the INCREDIBLE treacherousness of monofilament nets. The things are pure evil.

Not to mention the folly of a leg mounted knife or leaving perfectly good gear behind.

ArthurGerla:
Recently a fully certified Belgian diver drowned in the Oosterschelde estuary after getting entangled in a gill net.

She and her instructor buddy swam into the net in low viz circumstances at 24 meters depth. Even though she had logged some 290 dives she panicked, struggled violently and reduced visiblity to zero in the process. The instructor couldn't calm her and had to go to the surface for help. Back down they found she had taken off her entangled gear and headed for the surface, only to be snagged again by the knife attached to her leg.

Scary stuff. Do you have a link?
jagfish:
In my Solo course, I had to get out of "simulated entanglements" underwater at least 20 times, though they were all BC/Tank directed. As we were trolling the reef or doing skills, the instructor "tied" me to existing lines or plant life from behind. I had to get out of my BC so many times underwater (weight integrated) that it became second nature.

I definitely have absolutely no qualms about getting out of my kit underater now, but agree fin entanglement would be nasty.
My guess is that most solo divers have not had this level of training. I know I haven't (but would like to).
Uncle Pug:
Perhaps the new solo diver specialty should include a pool session encounter with a gillnet.
Yes. I would like to have this training - solo diving or not. Got an extra gill net I can borrow?

MikeFerrara:
Not to mention the folly of a leg mounted knife
Well, that's how it's taught over here ...
I don't like it either. I'm thinking about getting a small knife attached to my jacket or inflator hose. Maybe a pair of scissors as well. Then I'll dump the Rambo knife I was told to buy when I just started diving.

ArthurGerla:
Well, that's how it's taught over here ...
I don't like it either. I'm thinking about getting a small knife attached to my jacket or inflator hose. Maybe a pair of scissors as well. Then I'll dump the Rambo knife I was told to buy when I just started diving.
For the class mentioned above and the type of diving it is for (PSD), we carry 2 shears and a knife or sometimes 3 shears (for some reason, a pointy sharp object being used in zero viz scares people????)

My recreational diving cutting implements are a small serrated knife in a pouch on my waist strap and a pair of EMT shears in a drysuit pocket.

I was talked into the Rambo knife when I started. I did try strapping it to my leg once, but since I had to about curl up in a ball to reach it, I realized quickly that this was not a practical or practicable place to stow it. I moved it to a shoulder strap for a while, then to the waist strap. I eventually removed it completely and went to my current configuration.

Anyone wanna buy a pointy titanium Rambo knife in a plastic sheath :D

ArthurGerla:
FWIW http://duikerslog.nl/nieuws/cgibin/detail.shtml?36
http://www.geelonline.be/le6/six/index.php?n=4415&p=1
All Dutch language only. Sorry about that.

When they brought the woman's kit to the surface it still contained 135 bar (two thirds) of her air.
This is a translation of the first link (I did it very quickly but it is basically accurate):

Zierikzee – Zeeland was shocked this weekend by two diving accidents. There was one fatality: a 43 year old woman from the Belgische Geel. The woman died on Saturday evening because she got caught in a net at 24 meters deep near Kerkwerve. She panicked and took off her equipment. The person diving with her couldn’t calm her down, or free her. Other divers managed to free her but she was already dead. At the divers café it was reported that she still had 135 bar left when she was brought to the side and attempts were made to resuscitate her. Another diver (Mike_B) said that during the pre-dive briefing warnings about the hard to see net at 24 meters were given and that the pair hadn’t planned such a deep dive.

Source: nu.nl

BNdeStem reported:

ZIERIKZEE – A 43 year old woman from the Belgische Geel died in a diving accident on Saturday close to Zierikzee.

She was caught in a fishing net at 24 meters deep. Because she panicked she disturbed the sandy bottom. Her partner lost sight of her because of this and decided to go to the surface for help. She was found a half an hour later. She was taken onboard one of the boats that her group was using to dive in the Oosterschelde. Resuscitation was not successful

Back
Top Bottom