Question Can I modify Scuba gear like GUE?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Learner Diver

Banned
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I completely and thoroughly understand the complexities that inhibit Floridian cave divers seeking to penetrate further into the cave system, looking beyond every crevice and bend, reeling out metres of line to no end. Hence, the need for souped up modifications like the Halcyon configured JJCCR and RB80; wonderful and brilliant innovations on GUE’s part. Although, my bulging vertebrae could never tolerate wearing either one of these monstrosities (maybe the RB80 sidemount version, if I delve into technical diving). I know I said in a previous post that I was hoping to eventually use the long hose and progress to technical diving sometime in the future after I get my OW ticket. Now, my thoughts are: Why I should blatantly endanger my miserable and shallow lifestyle because my allocated, recreational, dive buddy hadn’t monitored their air supply. I may have to monitor their air just to be safe for both of us. My question is twofold. Is it feasible to fit two AIR 2s to a double bladder wing and have no actual primary, secondary regulators with dangling hoses? I’ve discussed this rather unusual concept with my LDS (not really local, he’s an old school chum. Never realized he owned a dive shop until I walked into his store by chance). And to my surprise, he supports me entirely in getting certified; he’s just reluctant to put my brainstorm together due to the configuration being somewhat strange, but he will test it out to make sure it works. My mind tells me I can swap out the wing when I decide to dive doubles, or perhaps continue to use it. My next question: How deep can I safely dive these AIR 2s? Are they cold-water rated? Say to 24 Celsius.

Scuba Q&A: AIR-2 Octopus - Is it a good idea?

The pictures below are for illustration purposes only.

1721899851434.png

1721899891013.png

Why?!

If you are curious about GUE way of doing things perhaps start your rec diving path with GUE Rec1 if available in your region. Otherwise perhaps start with whatever agency teaches you and do 100 dives with their "standard" kit and then modify it...

What kind of diving are you planning and why do you think your config would be good for it?

FFS get your Open Water qualification before you start thinking up yet more nonsense.

It appears, to me at least, that you're putting it off with diversionary activities.

If you knew anything about the DIR mob, you'd know how much your post would be despised by them. Air 2 and a horseshoe double-bladder wing... Jeez, it's everything that DIR is opposed to!

Or maybe you are a clever wind-up merchant?

Edit:
Now, my thoughts are: Why I should blatantly endanger my miserable and shallow lifestyle because my allocated, recreational, dive buddy hadn’t monitored their air supply. I may have to monitor their air just to be safe for both of us.
Writing that says an awful lot about attitude. We all, like it or not, have a responsibility to those around us. We need to be able and capable of helping others, even if it's to shout at them on the boat for being incompetent enough to run out of gas.

We, the members of ScubaBoard, are offering our experience and tolerating your misguided missives.

I really am thinking that you're a wind-up merchant, possibly using some AI bollox to write this crap.

It's neither clever nor funny.

Do a try-dive. Please.
Then do OWD training in whatever config the shop uses - it seriously doesn’t matter.
Then start thinking about anything else.

You seriously cannot understand any complexities of diving, whether recreational or technical, unless you actually go diving …

And don’t use Air2, ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom