Can I interchange 18650 batteries?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like the knock-off ultrafires which I get for about 1 dollar each. They're my backups and for emergency/light use

get a charge me that actually tests cells and you’ll realize why those are only a dollar each...

To those looking at chargers. I highly recommend getting a charger that can test cells, especially if using batteries from shady manufacturers or anything with “fire” in the name that are usually taken out of old laptop battery packs. One like the Opus is really easy to use and can tell you what the actual capacity is vs whatever nonsense is out on the labels of most of those cells

get a charge me that actually tests cells and you’ll realize why those are only a dollar each...

To those looking at chargers. I highly recommend getting a charger that can test cells, especially if using batteries from shady manufacturers or anything with “fire” in the name that are usually taken out of old laptop battery packs. One like the Opus is really easy to use and can tell you what the actual capacity is vs whatever nonsense is out on the labels of most of those cells

Hence backup.

I'll put a finer point on that one.......Friends don't let friends buy China produced batteries, regardless of size. They don't meet their stated specs and are typically slightly above junk.

Buy Taiwan or Japanese produced batteries.

In general I think that making sure your 18650 batteries are protected, we have seen numerous non-protected versions (for vaping) fail in quite spectacular ways. The Nitecore batteries that Backscatter suggests are quite good and are very close to their stated capacities when tested at 1A discharge with a reliable battery tester like
IMG_6678-e1414113961120-1024x721.jpg

The Nitecores that I have are actually Panasonic cells with the Nitecore protection circuit. I have a number of *fire batteries that say they are protected but actually don't have protection circuits on them. I use the Nitecore USB chargers, slow as molasses but slow charging is good for batteries.
Bill

I like the knock-off ultrafires which I get for about 1 dollar each. They're my backups and for emergency/light use

I hope that's a joke. Ultrafires are a serious joke as batteries. Worse than a joke, potentially dangerous. Miserable capacity and short life.

Back
Top Bottom