Can I get some identification (part 2)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KidK9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey all, in the next couple of days I am going to post some of my photography and was hoping you all could identify these with common names and scientific names. I will be making a small presentation next month (not on photography). Thanks so much for your expertise.

Let's see what I can do straight from my head at 3am. Unfortunately, fish aren't my specialty, so I may bungle some of this junk.

1. Panulirus argus. Florida Spiny Lobster.
2. dang, I suck with sponges.
3. HorseEye Jacks. Caranx hippos I think. Nice shot by the way.
4. Urolophus jamaicensis. Yellow (or Jamaican) stingray
5. Caribbean long-spined urchin. Diadema antillarum. There's also some adult blue chromis (Chromis cyanea), and the little purple things with 'em might be juvenile creole wrasse, or maybe creolefish. I always get them backwards... anyway one of 'em's called Paranthias crucifer... I think.

I'm going to bed now.

The pale purple juvenile fish are most likely creole wrasse, Clepticus parrae.

And the yellow tube sponges are Aplysina fistularis.

Actually Humann calls it a Caribbean Spiney, but the rest is the same.

I do think this is a yellow tube sponge. Aplysina fistularis due to the coloration. I'd change my call on your last post due to the same reason.

Expanding the ID set a little bit, I think the coral on the right of pic #2 is great Star Coral Montastraea cavernosa the white coral and the whip on the top are gorgonians.

Pic #3 Horse-Eye jack Caranx latus

#4 I agree with archman

#5 The brownish coral is Blade Fire coral Millepora complanata

TwoBit

I don't see any fire coral in the picture with the urchin. That's a lettuce coral just to the left of the urchin. Which one is difficult to tell without a closer picture.

Fire corals generally look smooth from any distance (the tentacles are no more than a couple millimeters long). Whereas the lettuce corals (Agaricia sp.) have ridges and visible polyps in the valleys.

-Mark

Back to picture #2.

I think that is a sea rod in the fore ground. Humann only goes as far as Family Plexauridae.

TwoBitTxn:
Actually Humann calls it a Caribbean Spiney, but the rest is the same.
That's the other common name. :wink:

TwoBitTxn:
Expanding the ID set a little bit, I think the coral on the right of pic #2 is great Star Coral Montastraea cavernosa
Corallites are too small. It's one of those newfangled Montastrea annularis strains diifferentiated by growth habit.

TwoBitTxn:
#3 Horse-Eye jack Caranx latus
Dang, I got cocky. Friggin' jack crevalle's...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom