Can I get my (non-micro) four-thirds 7-14, 12-60 and 50mm macro lenses underwater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, it looks like relative compact size and good auto focus are the advantages of the M1, while better video is the main advantage of the GH3. Tough call... but either way it's good to know I will be able to use my old lenses. The 7-14 in particular is a lovely lens. Thanks for all the advice. I hope to be able to post an update about how I proceed after a little while, and hopefully some pics too.

Hope you all have a great Christmas, and enjoy some great diving.

- Andrew

I'm agree, 7-14mm is a LOVELY and AMAZING lens:

4992777119_277c59af40_o.jpg

4992775663_f56bb823e8_o.jpg

4095884617_a1af58f5e4_o.jpg

4095881629_2eb0a41ee4_o.jpg

2077594063_744eeeb43b_o.jpg

2078383010_3abf9e3b61_o.jpg

2075571117_f0f6f20029_o.jpg

:blinking:

This is how it works, Olympus and Nauticam both have a port adapter for their E-M1 housings which allows you to use ports designed for the Olympus threaded port mount. These would be Olympus style ports from Athena, Inon and Olympus. No Ikelite ports will work with these adapters nor will any of the Ike gears or port extensions.

To use your two Olympus lenses, 7-14 and 50mm macro you would need the lens adapter, MM?-3, the port adapter and the Olympus style port. With this equipment you will get slower auto focus and other downsides over the current M43 lenses. If you sell the Olympus 43 lenses and buy the M43 60mm macro and Panasonic 7-14 you can use stock Nauticam ports with the Nauticam housing and old style Olympus ports with the Oly housing. I opted to sell all of my 43 lenses and have just acquired the 50mm back because I still own the Athena port for it.

regarding Ikelite strobes you can buy a fiber optic converter to shoots non-TTL or you can hard wire using a Nikonos type sync plug added to the housing. Ikelite also has their first fiber optic strobe the Manta coming this year at around $600.00.

Hi Phil, how are you? I find you everywhere, dude, are you connected 24 hours?

About the domes for the 7-14mm... nobody except Ikelite have solved the problem with the sharp corners. I gone crazy some manufacturers with this matter and just Ikelite solved the problem making a special dome for that. I used my Nexus housing with an Athena 200mm dome and an extension ring but... not possible to get same quality... you must crop the photos.

I kept my Ike housing with the tailor made dome just for wreck and shark photography but... too much weight to travel... you know... two housings and my diving gear... :confused:

Last edited:
This is how it works, Olympus and Nauticam both have a port adapter for their E-M1 housings which allows you to use ports designed for the Olympus threaded port mount.

Could somebody point me in the direction of the adapter that allows the old style Olympus threaded ports to a nauticam housing. Have found the oly solution, but not for Nauticam.
Many Thanks
MArk

This is how it works, Olympus and Nauticam both have a port adapter for their E-M1 housings which allows you to use ports designed for the Olympus threaded port mount.

Could somebody point me in the direction of the adapter that allows the old style Olympus threaded ports to a nauticam housing. Have found the oly solution, but not for Nauticam.
Many Thanks
MArk

Hi Mark, after a deep seach... can't find an adapter. They have adapter for, almost, all vendors but... could be comming. Had you wrote to Nauticam?

Reef Photo has this adapter in stock, don't know why it does not appear in the Nauticam pulldown menu but I have seen it. Fits the Nauticam Mini housings and allows the threaded Olympus style ports to be mounted. It also has a wheel to drive focus and zoom gears made for the Olympus 4/3 lenses like the 7-14 11-22, 50 macro, 8mm fisheye and others. Olympus is also going to release a M43 7-14 PRO zoom which should be every bit as good or better than the 4/3 version.

Many Thanks for the help / info rajesh & Phil. Here is the link to the adaptor for anyone that is interested;

Nauticam Adaptor for Olympus PT-E 4/3 Port and Gear System on Mirrorless Housings [nau.36051] - $430.00 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros

My reason for asking, is that I have got hold of a cheap
Olympus PPO-E04 Lens Port, which I was hoping to use with a nauticam m4/3 camera / housing, with wide angle lenses ( pan. 12-35 & oly 9-18mm.) Have you any idea about whether this might work optically?

Actually with the two m43 lenses you have, the 12-35 and 9-18 zooms the extension you have listed should be about the correct amount. The other option is the new ZEN 170mm port for the 7-14 and 12-50 lenses which should also work with your lenses. The cost may be about the same as buying the port and extension depending on the cost of the PPO-E04 port.

The ZEN port will be the same one being discussed in the New ZEN products below. The down side will be getting on the waiting list for the port.

Back
Top Bottom