Can I drive to cape look out?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaHound

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello folks - long time no see!

Sometime this week I wanted to dive either morehead or Wilmington. For my surface time I was thinking of taking my wife to cape look out island and doing photography. There are a few questions that I have the the website does not answer.

Can you take a car to the island either by driving or ferries?

Once the vehicle is on the other side how much of the island can be explored by road?

In the end, those of you who have been to the lighthouse and surrounding area - do you recommend visiting the island by foot or taking the car? Why will be more fun?

Please let me know your thoughts / suggestions. Looking forward to hearing from you son.

Regards -

Aziz

This one is easy, you can not get to Cape Lookout by car and there are no vehicles on the island....or roads for that matter. You must take a passenger ferry (or rent/borrow/pirate a boat) The LH is a few hundred feet from the ferry landing so it's an easy walk. It a pretty place but darn hot this time of year.......drop Capt James a PM, maybe he can work something special out for you, he is close by.
If you are in the Wilmington area and like WWII history, don't miss the USS North Carolina a WWII battleship. It is another great way to spend your SI.....although if your wife is like mine, we need to go to the ship and send them shopping. :)

Actually, there is a road... IIRC it runs from the dock to the bunk house.

Actually, there is a road... IIRC it runs from the dock to the bunk house.

Yes, but I'm pretty sure it is only for park service vehicles.

I vote for Cape Lookout!!! They just opened the lighthouse back up after years of closure. The ferry works. Can you drive a boat? Find yourself a skiff and take yourself there. But BE CAREFUL, the buoys...well some of them haven't been moved in in years and you might find yourself in 3 feet of water inside the buoys on the way there.

It's so beautiful. I love going out there. Take a picnic, and anything that you will need, the only supplies given are sun, sand, and the lighthouse.

Cape Lookout National Seashore (U.S. National Park Service)

If you have a four wheel drive vehicle you can take a small car ferry over to the banks at the town of Davis, up the coast from Lookout. You can follow the beach most of the way down to the point but will have to turn off the main lighthouse beach area for a short distance to avoid this main bathing area. You can drive a little past the point to the jetty where some dive and snorkel on the rocks when the fishing isn't too heavy. Beautiful beaches. I was there today in fact. I live about six miles away.

http://davisferry.com/

If you have a four wheel drive vehicle you can take a small car ferry over to the banks at the town of Davis, up the coast from Lookout. You can follow the beach most of the way down to the point but will have to turn off the main lighthouse beach area for a short distance to avoid this main bathing area. You can drive a little past the point to the jetty where some dive and snorkel on the rocks when the fishing isn't too heavy. Beautiful beaches. I was there today in fact. I live about six miles away.

Davis Shore Ferry Service Home

That's good to know about. I bet my 4WD probably isn't suitable...it's on a car chassis. I'm househunting down that way, btw. God's country.

I've seen Toyota Rav 4s running on the beach but that may be pushing it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom