Can I dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sharpenu, be careful

We doctors can only advise and this is very much a case of risk assessment.

I must say is that any convulsion in a diver underwater is very likely to be fatal so must be avoided at all costs.

If you are "epileptic" with a history of convulsions or blackouts the likelihood is that you will have another, and the risk of such fitting occuring is greater in the submerged environment itself.

Pedestrians are killed by vehicles when crossing the road but we consider that and acceptable risk. Would you condiser crossing a busy freeway wearing a blindfold, with your hands tied behind your back hopping on one leg? No! The risks are too great.

So please take a proper assesment of the risks yourself.

But there is another matter and that is the risk to others. Many agencies will not permit high risk individuals to dive because they present a risk to others, not only to themselves.

This is one reason I diapprove of the self certification system.

A recruit may be able to find a doctor willing to certify him or hide his medical history for self certification but might I suggest you all be totally honest with yourselves if only for the sake of your friends?

Back
Top Bottom