Can I clean an air tank to make it oxygen compatible? How?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The concern with oxygen is any carbon contamination, like grease.

The "washing liquid" should be a strong degreaser. The components of cleaning are time, temperature, chemicals and physical agitation. It's hard to get physical inside a tank, so you have to focus on degrease chemical, hot water, and a little time. You can put your valve or a plug in and roll the tank back and forth to get some physical action, but do make sure to clean the threads with a toothbrush.

Simple Green is a good degreaser that is easily available in the US, and I'm sure you can find something similar in France. Some people prefer the "crystal" version that doesn't smell as strongly, but I am ok with strong smells. You need to rinse until you can't smell it at all.

I think the more important is the valve, because that's where the gases are going around tight corners and moving quickly. Disassemble the valve completely and wash all parts, except the knob, in an ultrasonic cleaner with the same degreaser and hot water. Make sure all grease or residue is removed, and reassemble with an oxygen compatible lubrication.

Oxygen cleaning sufficient for technical diving is not rocket science, but it is important to do well. It's better when you are the one who will be filling the tanks, because I trust you will want to avoid harming yourself, and will clean very well.

Hi all, I have an AL80 that has always been used with air. Now I want to use it for deco, but it isn't oxy compatible right now.

Is there any way to make it oxygen compatible? Easy enough to do it at home possibly.

IMPORTANT: tank and valve as well

Thanks!

TDI offers a course on O2 cleaning. You might check to see if it’s available to you. Will wherever you get fills accept a tank O2 cleaned by a diver or will you have to pay them to do it? Best ask that question before you shell out for a course.

Bank Bottles

Check this guy out he's on the ball

But he doesn't use scented dishwashing liquid from the supermarket like the local dive shop does
nor show his rumbling customers the same bottle of rusty water like another local dive shop does!

Oxygen cleaning sufficient for technical diving is not rocket science, but it is important to do well. It's better when you are the one who will be filling the tanks, because I trust you will want to avoid harming yourself, and will clean very well.

Killing the fill station operator in an O2 fire is definitely bad form.

For the OP:
As you are in France, do as the Romans do (or should I say, do as the Parisians do) and use "lessive St Marc" :)

Well good otherwise it takes much much boiling water to neutralise the fragrance

I was today at the dive shop it smells of pine, they make pallets next door
The desensitised palates of staff can no longer smell such scents as pine

Is there anything else available?

Since you're in France, CMAS have Nitrox Gas Blender and presumably cleaning/technician courses and certificates. Maybe a local club can assist.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom