Can I assemble new gear myself?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you have a wrech and a bit of common sence,you can do it your self.
Just Don't overthighten the threads.

Ummm, do you mean attaching SPG, octo, inflator hoses to a 1st stage, or..... not sure of the question. :popcorn:

Sure you can.

But if the intermediate pressure of the 1st/2nd stage causes the octo to leak, you should take it in and have the octo tuned to match. Same goes for the 2nd if you bought them separately.

Just remember, if you assemble it and cross thread a fitting, you will be paying for repairs. Nothing hard to avoid, but nonetheless....

Also, I always let the shop put in prescription lenses into the mask. I know I can, because I did it while I managed a shop. But if they break the frame they fix it. And they're a Pain in the Royal A** to get in sometimes. I always felt if someone bought lenses through the shop that the installation headache should be ours anyway.

Have fun.

Yeah connecting everything to the first stage. I was not sure on what Pearl referenced. On if it pressure has to be tuned. I will give it a try. Thanks for the info.

The air pressure between the 1st and 2nd stages is not always the same. Each 1st stage will have a slightly different output pressure. When you buy a set, the second stage is adjusted to function properly to that intermediate pressure. They can't match a reg to an I.P. that they don't know.

If an octo is not tuned to the same pressure differential between intermediate pressure and ambient air pressure when you attach it and pressurize it, it may leak a bit. That's because the amount of air pressure difference across the valve required to activate the octo isn't tuned to that psi.

It's a simple adjustment, and most shops will do it for free anyway. If they don't, I'd be VERY leary of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you assemble your gear yourself? Yes, yes you can.

the K

Suggestion: Make sure you take it for a spin in the pool or pool like conditions. Give it a good test drive before you do some real diving.

jcf

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom