Can I add a zipper to my Wet suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ck21

Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I am returning to diving after a few years, and my wet-suit is tighter than it used to be. I assume they don't shrink, so I've put on a few pounds. I don't want to get a new (or new used one). So, I am thinking of adding a long zipper to the outside of legs on my Farmer Johns (starting at the ankle and going up to mid thigh or even my waist) . This will let me get into them easier, and should add about 3/4 of an inch of material too - just enough to make if fit great.

I was thinking of doing the same on the sleeves of my shorty. I would go from the middle of my triceps to the middle of my forearm. When I put on the wet-suit I should be able to easily pull up the wrist area to the normal position, and then zip the elbow area closed.

What do you think? Anybody know if there is anything special about sewing a 1/4 inch neoprene wet-suit? I'm open to zipper and thread recommendations too.

that for what you'd spend on altering your current suit you wouldnt be Too far from a brand new one... (cheap XS Mendacino for instance)

unless you have some really expensive wetsuit... (like an Aqualung Solaflex 8mm semi-dry) I dont think it'd be worth your trouble...

Yes, you can add zippers. We have added zippers for my wife on her wetsuit. Just be carefull, a semy dry with a seal will probably be colder as the seal will not be the same. For a normal wetsuit - no problems.

I think you will find a new suit to be a better bet.

That many zippers, installed will be significant $$ In order to preserve any warmth so some form of baffle or back-up flap will need to be added. Even at that the zippers will add stillness, failure points and promote water flow.

If you do it then go with a nylon thread. usually sold as upolstry thread it's readily available.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom