Can DUI make this modification?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaDocER

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have a question. I have seen dry suits that have vents in the feet. Seems like a good idea and after fighting my DUI dry suit this past weekend with air pockets in my feet, I understand why they use them. I know some people use gators and ankle weights, etc. This question is specifically about adding vents to the feet. Does or can DUI make this modification or is there someone else who could do it for me? What are the down sides of adding the vents?

If it's air trapping in your feet then a couple things come to mind. 1) you're putting too much air in the drysuit. Use your BC for buoyancy control, not the drysuit.

2) Put ONLY enough air to take the squeeze off of you.

3) Get your feet lower than the rest of you for a bit to allow the air to travel up your leg, your torso and to your sleeve to vent.

I have a question. I have seen dry suits that have vents in the feet. Seems like a good idea and after fighting my DUI dry suit this past weekend with air pockets in my feet, I understand why they use them. I know some people use gators and ankle weights, etc. This question is specifically about adding vents to the feet. Does or can DUI make this modification or is there someone else who could do it for me? What are the down sides of adding the vents?

The only suit I know of with ankle vents is the Apollo suit ... and although it's a pretty good suit for what they charge for it, most people I know who have dived it end up closing those vents off.

The downside to them is that they'll also vent air when you don't want them to.

I think most people go through a learning curve when it comes to managing the air in your boots. You want a bit of air for warmth, and perhaps to help manage your trim. You won't want too much. Like any other skill it takes some effort to find the balance.

It's probably better to put in the effort than to try fixing the problem with equipment changes.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I had "flapper valves" in an Aquilla suit, way back when (it came that way ... I don't know why). I took them out, since every time I went head down the suit would vent out the heels and I'd quickly go negative, it was not a good solution. Putting an adjustable spring loaded over pressure valve in each leg might be possible, but it would be a bulky and expensive solution that would also be somewhat hard to adjust on the fly.

What are the down sides of adding the vents?
For me it would be just one more thing that could go wrong (venting at the wrong time or leaking). Personally, I try to keep things as simple as possible. There's equipment that's necessary and other stuff that isn't. Foot vents would fall under the unnecessary category for me. Like NWGratefulDiver has already said there's a learning curve, but you will be able to manage increasingly well with practice.

I had "flapper valves" in an Aquilla suit, way back when (it came that way ... I don't know why). I took them out, since every time I went head down the suit would vent out the heels and I'd quickly go negative, it was not a good solution. Putting an adjustable spring loaded over pressure valve in each leg might be possible, but it would be a bulky and expensive solution that would also be somewhat hard to adjust on the fly.

My Gawd man, how far do you go back? :wink:

Well ... I can remember dodging plesiosaurs.:D

Hi Anthony,

Great post. Great replies to your post. This was already mentioned but I agree and think it is important to mention. Allow a little time for the learning curve.

Drysuit divers have more warmth on the legs. If you were previously diving a wetsuit and have left your weight in the same location, your trim will be off. This will make you head heavy and feet light. Take a look at the location and see if you can adjust this. We have an article on our website at Welcome to DUI - Diving Unlimited International which talks about trim. You can test dive a DUI Weight & Trim system or a Delta BC at any DOG Rally Event.

Also at our DOG Rallies we love to help new DOGs with their equipment. So if you have a question on anything and can make it out to a Rally please, please bring your DUI equipment and come on out. We have experienced people on hand who can help you out and give tips on how to 'tweak' your current equipment.

Besides the downsides previously mentioned adding vents/valves in the legs also poses a big maintenance issue. Walking in sand - like divers tend to do - can lead to sand in the vents which causes leaks.

We have experimented with vents in the legs and for diving have come to the conclusion that it is not a good idea.

That said we have done modifications on a few suits over the years at the request of a diver. Our Service Department Price List shows a cuff vent valve $84 plus a test and evaluation fee of $64. You can review the price list at http://www.dui-online.com/pdf/Service_Price_List_Retail.pdf. If you want a specific price on adding two ankle valves please let Pam@DUI-Online.com know and she will give you a price quote.

Kathy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom