Can anyone tell me what this is?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi, I live in Long Beach, CA and I recently found an object that I believe is part of a the cartilage of a saw shark's nose. Though I could be completely wrong as I have no skeletal model or photographs to compare my findings to. I have attached three pictures to this post. My friend's believe that it is part of the tail of a horseshoe crab. I am extremely curious. Any and all ideas and suggestions are appreciated! Thanks!

Attachments

• Photo 457.jpg
    Photo 457.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 206
  • Photo 458.jpg
    Photo 458.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 178
  • Photo 456.jpg
    Photo 456.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 191
I believe it is something else. Here is a picture of a Saw Nose Shark nose, if you will. Not sure what you've found.

Attachments

• Saw Nose.jpg
    Saw Nose.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 261
I don't think either of you are right. It's not a Sawfish. Dennis posted a photo of a Smalltooth Sawfish rostrum, the Largetooth Sawfish rostrum is similar, but different. It is not like the object you have. While it looks somewhat like a Horseshoe Crab's opisthosoma (the back part of the body to which the tail attaches), the spines on the opisthosoma are not firmly attached, they move and can easily detach after death. I don't know what you have, but I'm pretty sure of what you don't have. Good luck.

That ain't like any horseshoe crab I ever saw (pun intended) I believe your right, but would have to see it close up to be sure. Fizz

Looks just like a piece of palm branch to me too, looks pretty fibrous.

California+Fan++palm+petioles.jpg

istockphoto_2957887-palm-thorns.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom