Can anyone tell me what is on this fish's head?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jray

Reaction score
Took this picture in Roatan and noticed this fish has something on it's head. Does anyone know what it is? I thought I was just taking another picture of one of these fish and ended up with a cool "bug on the head" photo.

For a larger version of the picture, go here:

http://colliercentral.com/crabs/107_0795l.jpg

107_0795s.jpg

It's a parasitic Isopod

Specifically
Cymothoid Isopods
Anilocra spp
Renocila spp

Order: Isopods
Family: Cymothoidae

They are not true parasites, do not feed on the hosts. Instead, single individuals or even mated pairs attach to the head region of reef fishes with several pairs of hook-like legs, where the scavenge specks of floating food from the water.

There's been 12 species from two genre classified in the Caribbean.

Gross looking little buggers, aren't they?

more like a pill or sow bug than a tiny lobster or cockroach. Isopods are dorso-ventrally flattened (meaning like someone had stepped on top of them). Some of them can dig in and hurt.

I wonder if this one could be considered a kleptoparasite, although it only really takes scraps of food rather than stealing the entire meal.

Dr. Bill

what a timely thread. just saw one of these on a blue tang in the keys. i described it to the boat captain as a lobster tail sitting on a fish. he had no clue what i was talking about. i am glad to hear it is not an alien visitor about to replicate and take over the world.

Back
Top Bottom