Can anyone identify this sea creature?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hapless Bystander

Registered
Reaction score
I was snorkeling yesterday off of Grand Bahama Island and saw something I have never seen before. I was hoping maybe someone could help me identify it. Here is a description:

It appears to be a bottom feeding filter of some type. It is about 10 inches wide and 6 inches high. It was a variable sand color and appeared gelatinous in composition. There were a few tube like protrusions on the top of its body. What was really weird was that underneath the body, and apparently running entirely around the circumfrence, were teeth like structures that continually, almost in a pulsating or fluid manner, moved to sift surrounding water into the body.

A way to visualize the movement of these "teeth" would be to cup your hands in front of you with the pinkies touching and then move your fingers toward your body approximately once per second in a flowing motion.

This thing was really cool and I would love to find out what it was!

Thanks!

Robert

Thanks! I had a feeling it would turn out that way. But I did my best to describe it :) Maybe someone else will have an idea what it is...
Robert

I was snorkeling yesterday off of Grand Bahama Island and saw something I have never seen before. I was hoping maybe someone could help me identify it. Here is a description:

It appears to be a bottom feeding filter of some type. It is about 10 inches wide and 6 inches high. It was a variable sand color and appeared gelatinous in composition. There were a few tube like protrusions on the top of its body. What was really weird was that underneath the body, and apparently running entirely around the circumfrence, were teeth like structures that continually, almost in a pulsating or fluid manner, moved to sift surrounding water into the body.

A way to visualize the movement of these "teeth" would be to cup your hands in front of you with the pinkies touching and then move your fingers toward your body approximately once per second in a flowing motion.

This thing was really cool and I would love to find out what it was!

Thanks!

Robert

Sounds like a Sea Cucumber. They come in many different flavors.

Last edited:
large nudibranch of some kind??
Nudibranch gallery

Hello again,

Well we went back in and found this creature and many of his friends. I still don't know if it is a sea cucumber, a nudibranch, or an anemone of some type. I will return next year with a camera...they sure were cool though!

Robert

Did it look like this?
food040.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom