Can anyone identify this fish?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catahoula

Registered
Reaction score
I took this shot in the Exumas while snorkeling What is this Fish.jpg around with Nurse Sharks. I can't seem to figure out what it is. Thanks for any help.

Thanks Dumpster Diver and flareside. I'm guessing it is some kind of Jack as well. The Almaco Jack has a strip down it's eye and this one doesn't. But the Dorsal and Anal fins look very similar.

Catahoula, I assume the stripe you refer to is the same as the one on the fish in the background of your photo. A check of google images shows the stripe is often considerably lighter. Additionally, in the darker variants of Almaco Jack as shown in the photos of the Reef Fish ID series, the stripe can become relatively indistinguishable.

Flareside, yes that was what I was referring to. I check out the images you mention. Also, what is that fish in the background with the stripe?

This one. Fish.jpg Not a gray snapper as they don't have prominate paired pelvic fins nor a dark, raised dorsal fin. Not sure what a mares fish but both the greater amberjack and the almaco jack have the same stripe across the eye and are from the same family.

blkjack.jpg A black jack has little black triangles down the side and the dorsal fin is not as webbed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom