Can anyone identify this coral?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Man, you need to pick up some Humann guides! They would help you out immensely.

As to your "yellow tube coral", to which pic are you referring? There is a a yellow tube sponge in one pic. But you also have another yellow tube sponge (possibly a different species) in two others, along with a whole heap of other sponges in other pics.

There are also various hard and soft corals, fire corals, filamentous brown algae, calcareous green algae, and I think I even saw some compound tunicates.

Basically, you have a smorgasbord of marine life in these pics. It's a very diverse community you have photographed.

LoL, this is true. I'm looking for the first row, third picture from the left.

KidK9:

Yellow tube coral sounds like as good a name as any to me. Any more votes on this?:D

Yellow Tube Sponge. :)

OK enough with the jokes! Just kidding. Anybody seriously help me with this?

It's really not a joke. The photo you are referencing is a Yellow Tube Sponge. It's not a coral.

KidK9:
Identifying most sponges from photos isn't very accurate. You need to take a chunk of mesohyl and look at the skeletal matrix under a microscope. The sponge in question might be an Aplysina , but it's difficult to rule out Pseudoceratina, Cliona, or other similar-looking genera.

"Yellow Tube Sponge" is appropriate.

Well okey dokey then. Yellow Tube Sponge it is. Does Humann give it a scientific name?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom