Can anyone give me a strobe intro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Prodaytrader

Registered
Reaction score
Im starting to think I am biting off more then I can chew with U/W photography. I am about to get a housing for my digital and now I am wondering about a strobe. I dont want to buy a 500 dollar strobe with all sorts of attachments and what not. I looked on ebay and saw a cheap strobe but it occured to me that I dont have any sort of external input for the camera to use a flash. That means I would have to use a slave right? If I used a slave strobe, would I just need to figure out how to attach it to the camera then or do slaves need some sort of sensor attached to the camera? If strobes get to complicated or expensive for me right now, could I just use a underwater light and get improved shots over the internal camera flash? Finally, are there any good articles on useing strobes for the first time? I dont know a thing about them so any imformation would help me out here. thx

My first take is DO NOT buy an External Strobe until you have used the Camera's internal flash U/W.

well, I'm with you on this one. From the other posts and threads I have made today and getting real good feedback, I'm starting to think that maybe i will try macro pics with just a camera and housing on this trip. I was already intending to buy some other new equipment anyway so maybe next time I will be able to get into strobes. I take sucky pics on land anyway, what makes me think I will take better shots underwater? lol

There are many options for underwater strobes:
http://www.digitaldiver.net/strobes.php

Some are less than the $400 that you were talking about.

I do agree that you should first use your camera with just the internal strobe. Be aware tho that the internal strobe cannot punch thru much water. Remember that your red loss is related to the distance from your subject X2 since the strobe has to go from your camera to the subject and then back again. I'm not sure that an internal flash is good for much more than 5 feet of distance.

An external strobe is well worth the investment if you are serious about underwater photography. Available light photography produces wonderful images but only at pretty shallow depths. Beyond 30 feet, you really need a good strobe to get any good color. AND, if you plan on lighting up a wall at some distance, you need two BIG external strobes with long arms otherwise you just light up the debris that is in the water.

Good luck.

Lee

I agree with f3 and Lee, first get used to the camera's own flash. Don't add too many levels of newness all at once. BUT, make sure you have a diffuser for the flash (most housings come with one, but not all) and get real familiar with how to use custom white balance underwater (for those wide angle available light shots).

Have fun! There's a lot to learn, and it can feel overwhelming, but you will see such progress as you learn and adjust, you'll have a great time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom