Can any dive light be turned on/off underwater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like turning my light off underwater at night as well but if I'm using a HID dive light I do it near the end of the dive and try not to have to turn it on again.
..snip..
You've obviously never dropped a dive light while handing it up to a crew member on the boat. :wink: It makes it rather difficult to find. So I assume you're referring to a canister light that is securely fixed to you.

..snip..
With a LED it's not an issue. Is anyone even still using halogen?

LEDs may be cheap in the US but in many other countries with high import taxes it gets expensive to replace all old dive lights, especially when there are multiple divers in the family. :depressed:

Just a note about screw on/off dive lights... If not turned "just off" they may flood, too close to "on" and the pressure can activate them anyway. I remember having a diver ask me after a night dive why my swim trunks seemed to be glowing. I had a small backup in my pocket I had thought to be off!

...sometimes you hit the switch and pop!

That possibility is enough for me to turn it on at the surface and leave it on.

Yes, technically you can turn any light on/off at any time, at any depth during a dive. Should you? Unless it's a backup light and your primary just sh** the bed, probably not.

With LED's - the actual bulb blowing is not an issue. But lights still flood, switches are still faulty, etc. I just had one flood on me not too long ago because of a faulty switch. I just prefer to do as I was taught...

You've obviously never dropped a dive light while handing it up to a crew member on the boat. :wink: It makes it rather difficult to find. So I assume you're referring to a canister light that is securely fixed to you.

LEDs may be cheap in the US but in many other countries with high import taxes it gets expensive to replace all old dive lights, especially when there are multiple divers in the family. :depressed:

I don't use a cannister light but all my lights are securely fixed to me. Good point regarding halogens.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom