Info Can a PADI dm assist in an SDI course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

whitefang21

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Question for clarification can a padI dm assist in an a sdi course?

My answer? No. I don't see how they'd let you do that. Why not just cross the DM over to SDI?

You'd be better off checking with HQ though...

I'd imagine it depends on what 'assist' means in the context of the course. If you're a PADI DM with liability insurance you are allowed to supervise divers. I don't know SDI's structure but you probably couldn't sign off on any part of the course, skills completed etc. The other thing would be to have the students sign PADI liability release forms too to cover the PADI DM.

You can sit there and function as a form of safety diver if you want, use it as an opportunity to see how a new instructor like to run their classes. However in order to actually function as DM for the class and help with skills and such you will need to do the cross over. It is a pretty easy process and you can maintain both agency certifications at the same time.

of course you can. I use PADI, NAUI DMs to help with classes all the time. As long as professional insurance is in place. And i make clear what a DM is allowed to do in an SDI course.

of course you can. I use PADI, NAUI DMs to help with classes all the time. As long as professional insurance is in place. And i make clear what a DM is allowed to do in an SDI course.
Can/do you use them to increase your ratios too?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom