Can a New Diver Develop Buoyancy Skills in a Pool?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can you develop buoyancy skills in a pool?

Well that depends.

A pool like this would make things difficult.

Screenshot 2023-03-31 211530.png

Many of the exercises and games mentioned will help in any pool or calm water. Once you feel you have them down (bored) in the deep end take them into shallow end (four feet) and do them without touching the bottom or surface.
Give me some notice when you'll be in SLC and have a Sunday (less crowded with classes) and I'll hop in the pool with you for an hour or two. My treat!

I think I learned something in a pool just by floating on my back without gear. Try to become motionless and feel the effects of different leg positions, arm positions, and breathing.

It's possible to learn buoyancy skills as a new diver in a pool, but I wouldn't say it's typically something that most new divers can competently do.

When my oldest daughter was getting certified, the weather did not cooperate for the open water portion. She had completed the pool sessions. So, we waited and she joined another class. She joined their pool sessions, and while the other students were doing their initial skills, she hung out underwater with the DM that was assisting. The DM was practicing her buoyancy, so my daughter did the same. The instructor was impressed with how quickly she was able to maintain neutral.

Of course, she's part fish as she's been learning water skills since before she could walk.

Occasionally I will throw $25 at the LDS, sign the waiver, and screw off in the deep end while they are at the other end training new divers. It's worth the money, good practice.

But to answer your question, yes. Absolutely.

Occasionally I will throw $25 at the LDS, sign the waiver, and screw off in the deep end while they are at the other end training new divers. It's worth the money, good practice.

I did it that several times early on. If someone can get a good handle on their buoyancy in a pool, it’ll translate to an OW environment.

Great way to keep the rust off over the winter, too. I’ve done that for all the time I’ve been diving, although pool access was difficult for a time due to Covid.

I'm relatively land-locked and my diving options this time of year are limited to mostly shop training pools. Is it possible significantly improve my buoyancy in a 10-12' pool?
I took a five class buoyancy course, all pool sessions, and it was the best thing I have done as far as going beyond the basics. I was pretty new at the time and it not only improved my diving, it gave me a huge boost of confidence.

lso, for demonstration and visual reinforcement purposes in the pool, when demonstrating and evacuating skills I would always have the DM's perfectly hovering in a "lotus" position behind me.

Would it not be more favourable to have the DM's hover in a horizontal position behind/beside you/the trainee?
Being in a lotus hover removes me from my agility in the water. If I need to act quickly this is not the best position for me personally.
Hovering 1/2 feet of the deck makes it easier to act and move forward/aside if needed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom