Can a CO2 Paintball Canister be cut with a Hack Saw?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jeff Blake

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm in the process of designing my canister light for underwater video. I've stumbled across a couple threads encouraging the use of CO2 tanks as canisters for the batteries.

Can these be cut with a hacksaw and/or dremel?

I don't have a band saw.

You can do it with a metal blade for the hacksaw, it just might take a long time.

You also can do it with a dremel, but again you are looking at a very long time.

My suggestion: Go to a metal shop and have them do it, or pick up an angle grinder.

A angle/or die grinder is the best course. I chopped a steel 72 in half in 5 minutes with one. If it is a fiber wrapped cylinder though, make sure you have eye and respritory protection.

They are aluminum and the wall thickness is not a big deal, easy to do with a standard hacksaw.

Hey guys thanks for the tips. I'll give the angle grinder a go.

Couple more questions I'd like to clarify.

For the Lid:
What's a simple, cheap type of material to use? PVC, acrylic, are currently what I'm looking at

What's the simplest way to cut circles? Plan is to cut 2 circles, one matching OD and the other matching ID, glue together. Cheap drill press and hole saw? Currently I have zero tools.

For the latches
I'm thinking Nielsen Sessions (compression locks). Just drill holes through the tank? partially? or what?

Since your canister is aluminum, it is worth mentioning that you should *never* grind aluminum with a disk that you have ground ferrous metal with. It creates thermite that will burn all the way through you and the concrete floor your standing on. Think Xenomorph blood from the movie Alien.

For the Lid:
What's a simple, cheap type of material to use? PVC, acrylic, are currently what I'm looking at

Test Plug, 3" # PS2407 by PlumbShop

Both Home Depot and Lowes carry one that is plastic for around $4.00 USD. Works real well. Tap the bottom of your can and Install the Cord and switch. The plug on the bottom is only used for removing the batteries.

Since your canister is aluminum, it is worth mentioning that you should *never* grind aluminum with a disk that you have ground ferrous metal with. It creates thermite that will burn all the way through you and the concrete floor your standing on. Think Xenomorph blood from the movie Alien.

From experience that looks awesome, but it is not fun having to start over. (only burned a little)

We also put a hole in the parking lot where I work using expired lab grade Iron (II) Oxide and reagent grade Aluminum powder.

It creates thermite that will burn all the way through you and the concrete floor your standing on.

Hmmmm, Been looking for a cheap way of creating that stuff. :D

Hmmmm, Been looking for a cheap way of creating that stuff. :D
It is actually quite easy to get the stuff. The Iron (or any metal) oxide can be sourced from the nearest parking lot, and the aluminum (or any metal) can be sourced from foil or sparklers (magnesium, not quite as good).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom