Cameras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AndyNZ

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Anyone take a camera on "bigger" dives?

I tend to often take just my camera, which is easy - it fits in my drysuit pocket. But tomorrow we are off to dive a flooded power station (fingers crossed it's as good as it sounds) and I really want to take arms and strobes as well.

It's too big to do much with, and I don't really like clipping it off to the butt d-ring. So what to do with it during a gas switch and popping an SMB??

Admittedly, probably should have thought about this prior to the night before the dive.... :D

Only a small camera with one strobe and it got stowed (strobe folded back onto itself) and clipped off (left chest D-ring) during the gas switch and bag shoot.

I think if I had a bigger rig I'd plan on my teammate to shoot the bag.

Made the decision to leave the strobes today - we are, as far as we can tell, the first people to dive the power station since it was flooded in the 1940s. There was a power shortage at the time, so the power station was still running when the lake was flooded for the newer/larger station downstream. It's a hydro power station, with all of the water turbines still in place..... if we can find it!

I agree, Peter, someone else to shoot the bag - but still not sure about the gas switch, two arms two strobes would get in the way, I think. We don't know anything about the dive, so will take the path of least resistance.... even though it means I may miss out on the photos.

Thanks for the link, Don. I'll browse through that tonight post-dive.

I agree, Peter, someone else to shoot the bag - but still not sure about the gas switch, two arms two strobes would get in the way, I think. We don't know anything about the dive, so will take the path of least resistance.... even though it means I may miss out on the photos.

Thanks for the link, Don. I'll browse through that tonight post-dive.

I clip mine on the scooter D-ring and just let it dangle down.

The video housing is a little negative, so I can actually toss it up in the "air" and deploy a deco bottle before it sinks back down to me :) (not enough time to shoot a bag or stow a stage tho :)

I tend to keep stuff off of my left or right D-Ring as I already have enough stuff on them with b/up lights, second stages and 2 stages/deco bottles.

Scooter ring works great if you are off the bottom when you switch. Alternate way is to hand off the camera

I think that will work, thanks Nick. Didn't even think about the scooter ring!

Cool. Let me know how it works out for you. My DSLR even with strobes folded in does sit quite a bit lower than my body level so definitely only works in midwater.

if you find a better solution I am all ears -- my dome is pretty well banged up already from these kinds of dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom