camera weights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

compton384

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have the canon S90 with the canon housing, which I have not yet used.. Weights were not included, but after reading the manual, it recommends purchasing the weights. I was wondering if this is necessary? Does the camera get in the way if it's a little buoyant or what's the problem? Does everyone who uses cameras use weights?

I think it is personal preference. For me, I prefer my camera to be slightly negative. That way, when I clip it off it doesn't float up and get in my way. Also, if you happen to drop your camera, it doesn't float up to the surface. If it does, there's a good chance it could be lost, but if it sinks down (unless you're on a bottomless or deep wall) it will sit on the bottom and there's a chance for recovery.

I used my camera housing for almost 6 years without weights. Just put some on there about 6 months ago. Nothing drastic, but I think I do like it better weighted. I have it almost neutral, but just slightly possitive. I keep it clipped to my BC with a 36" coil lanyard. So even if it does happen to come out of my hand, it not going anywhere. ( only came out of my hand once. when a very large & very unhappy eel didn't like me taking his picture)
I would say the weights are optional, but make sure you have some kind of lanyard. just in case. :)

I used the A570 in the Canon housing for almost 4 years with no weights---& loved it being a little + buoyant

Thanks for the comments... And the lanyard is a great idea, so I'll probably try that and hold off on the weights until I at least see what it's like without them.

Thanks for the comments... And the lanyard is a great idea, so I'll probably try that and hold off on the weights until I at least see what it's like without them.

And just use the one supplied with the housing---nothing fancier is needed..

Once underwater, if you don't like it slightly positive, just open the housing. It will become neutral (to slightly negative) as it fills up. :D

And just use the one supplied with the housing---nothing fancier is needed..

Well, if I want it to be constantly attached but not always on my wrist, I will need to get one that either coils or retracts, which I think is a great idea. The housing only came with one that goes around my wrist, which I could see getting in the way if I'm not using it and I like the thought of it always being attached to me in case I were to drop it when switching from it being on my wrist to be clipped to my vest.

Well, if I want it to be constantly attached but not always on my wrist, I will need to get one that either coils or retracts, which I think is a great idea. The housing only came with one that goes around my wrist, which I could see getting in the way if I'm not using it and I like the thought of it always being attached to me in case I were to drop it when switching from it being on my wrist to be clipped to my vest.

Whatever pleases you, I'm just telling you what worked for me on over 200 dives with it(it can clip off to your vest & I never worried about 'dropping it').....I used the coiled lanyard on my previous housing(800+ dives) & will go back to the coiled one on my new camera/housing next week---due to it's extra weight & lol extra cost.....All I'm saying is the supplied one worked for me on my A570 & Canon housing in the past....

I find it very hard to use without weights. I was a bit surprised that they didn't come as standard to be honest.

Back
Top Bottom