Camera Suggestions for Newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you’re not really that interested in UW photography and don’t care about having taken the pics yourself, there is something to be said for skipping the expense and hassle and just getting them from someone else. Or enjoying the many great pics and videos online. My husband for one is always giving pics to others, and will happily take requests, like a nice facebook profile pic or whatever. He enjoys doing that. He’s also good at it and has lots invested in equipment. The downside of course is that theres no guarantee of that person being on your trip. But seems likely there will be plenty of cameras at Truk.

It is nice not taking pictures you see a lot more. However, I love having my memories more visual. If you are wanting an easy camera I see someone mentioned the TG4. I have the TG3 and it's super easy and I have decent photos. I bought a simple mount with a strobe but with the macros you don't really need it. I have found the GoPro does a great job. I would take a camera and opt to not use it on every dive. Also, as a new diver, make sure your buoyancy is good because new divers have a tendency really mess up reefs while taking pictures. And they also hold their breath which is not good...

Enjoy!

OP, may I simply add that taking good pictures at depth—that is below 30-40 feet where you need external strobes—is really quite difficult. You have numerous factors affecting your exposure, including how much ambient light there is, how far away you are or wish to be from your subject, clarity issues, backscatter, etc etc you get the picture (pun intended). In addition to dialing in your background exposure in the camera (shutter speed, aperture, ISO), you need to adjust the strobes to properly expose the foreground. In my experience, this is a real trial-and-error process: there are no firm rules or guidelines, trust me I’ve looked. There are just too many variables to allow any clear guidelines like, use this power/guide number for this strobe at this depth with this shutter speed and aperture.

Obviously it can be done and many do. But I will confess that doing it for maybe the first time at 180!!!! feet seems a huge ask.

Finally, if you do decide to get a camera, man, you’re going to need some powerful strobes at that depth.

Finally finally, if you want an easy entry into the field, maybe consider the SeaLife line. I haven’t used them

I have recently taken up underwater photography and it is very challenging. I am shooting with what I consider a good quality, light weight, compact, travel friendly, full manual RAW control system with the Sony RX-100 V, 2 YS-01 strobes and KRL-01 WA lens. As a relatively competent above the water wildlife photographer with top of line equipment who understands composition, exposure, lighting, control and post processing ( published a few times, awards a few times ), my images underwater so far are average at best.
Point - Underwater photography is very challenging and there is a large learning curve. No matter how experienced you are with a camera, unless you have a good deal of time to practice underwater before your trip you will be lucky to get many quality underwater images. Spend your time enjoying the moment and get someone to email you images from the trip. Offer to purchase the ones you like.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom