Camera suggestion needed!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

miserkris

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Looking for the best compact underwater camera for HD pics and vid.

Also should be able to use its flash as dive light for night dives.

Is there one? Is gopro the best?

Will look for whatever is recommended during Black Friday.

Thx

You can't really use a flash for a dive light. Because flash....
I use a red filter and get decent results. I also have a couple of dive lights with wide angle heads that I use at night, or when I don't want to use the filter.
Other than that, it's a matter of budget. On the low end, there are GoPro clones on Amazon for pocket change. Or you can repurpose an old phone. I use a GoPro3, Kim and Sue both use old iPhones in housings. Decent pictures, and very little invested.

I wouldn't plan on using any underwater camera as a light source for night dives. I'm looking at picking up a GoPro 7 for video when it releases next week. I have a SeaLife DC1400 for stills and then an iTorch Venom 38 video light to light it all up. But I've heard great things about the Olympus TG-5.

No camera will, in and of itself, double as a dive light. On the contrary, with exception of very close range macro shots, you will usually need additional lights (constant LEDs or strobes - both have their pros and cons) to produce good-looking images or video.

Olympus TG-5 and SeaLife DC2000 are the two best 'waterproof' cameras currently on the market. Both can be dived to 15-18 meters bare, but require a housing to go deeper. Note that while they're marketed as waterproof, they rely on very thin and fragile o-rings to maintain sealing, and can flood as easily - some say more so - as any housing if not maintained properly. If you put them in a housing, the waterproofing provides an additional safety margin - even if your housing floods, the waterproof camera inside will almost certainly survive the ordeal, whereas a normal camera will be dead as a doornail.

TG-5 has a zoom lens and a very useful macro mode (focuses as close as 1cm from the lens), but has a smaller sensor and lacks shutter speed controls. DC2000 has a larger sensor (same as Sony RX100 III) which can produce higher quality photos, and a full set of controls, but its lens is fixed focal length and can't focus as close. Additionally, if you shoot it in RAW mode (as you should, underwater) it takes several seconds to cycle between shots.

GoPros and their clones are okay for video, but forget using them for stills. However, their small size brings some unique advantages - a big camera ring, with a handled tray, arms, lights, strobes, wet lenses, etc., pretty much dominates your dive. At no point during your dive can you forget that you're towing it, and most of your dive time will be spent looking for photo/video opportunities. An action camera, on the other hand, can be hung from your wrist, or stuffed into a BCD pocket, and only brought into play when you want to take a short clip of something interesting. You can also put one on a stick and bring it closer to a tricky subject than you could with a large camera rig.

If you have a phone with a good camera, you can put it in a housing and take it underwater. Weefine Smart Housing (Kraken in North America) pairs with an app on your phone via Bluetooth and controls the phone wirelessly via buttons on the housing. It also has a pressure sensor which allows the phone+housing package to double as a dive computer.

On the upper end of the scale, you have the premium compacts - Sony RX100 series, Canon G7 X series, Panasonic LX10/LX100, etc. Each has its own strengths and weaknesses, but they all require a significant investment in both money (housing, tray, arms, lights, strobes, wet lenses, batteries, chargers, cards, software, etc) and time (learning how to use it all) to extract good images out of all that hardware.

@miserkris, if your long-term goals do not extend beyond the level of image/video quality that you can get with a GoPro, then the new GoPro 7 is probably a good choice.

However, if you think you might ultimately develop higher aspirations, then I would think twice about spending the money for a GoPro when you'll probably want to retire it and move onto something better soon.

The GoPro has a major downfall (when it comes to still photos) in that it doesn't have a flash and cannot trigger external flash units (aka strobes). That makes its usefulness in low light (which is normal on deeper dives) quite limited.

If you think you want to start with something "like" a GoPro, but eventually move onto something better, you might consider checking Amazon and look at the various GoPro knock-offs there that are much less expensive. E.g. the different models from SJCam. They are a little bit less capable than a GoPro 7, but a LOT less money. Which means you won't be flushing so much money when you are ready to retire it and buy something better.

If you want to start off straightaway with something that is more future-proof, as already mentioned, the Olympus TG-5 is the same price as a GoPro 7 Black and it is MUCH better for still photos, at the expense of not being AS good for video (as the 7 Black). It will still shoot 4K video. It just doesn't have the higher frame rate or the fancy image stabilization that the GoPro 7 Black has.

If you want to start off straightaway with something that is more future-proof, as already mentioned, the Olympus TG-5 is the same price as a GoPro 7 Black and it is MUCH better for still photos, at the expense of not being AS good for video (as the 7 Black). It will still shoot 4K video. It just doesn't have the higher frame rate or the fancy image stabilization that the GoPro 7 Black has.

Do the new GoPros have a manual white balance setting, or do they still rely on red filters? My group's guide on a liveaboard in the Similans was shooting videos with a TG-4, using manual white balance with just his palm for reference, and results were great.

Do the new GoPros have a manual white balance setting, or do they still rely on red filters? My group's guide on a liveaboard in the Similans was shooting videos with a TG-4, using manual white balance with just his palm for reference, and results were great.

I do not know.

Gopro with red filter tray and lights.....at least until you decide to spend a whole lot more....

Do the new GoPros have a manual white balance setting, or do they still rely on red filters?
Since Hero3, Gopros have been able to do manual white balancing through a feature called Protune. https://gopro.com/help/articles/Question_Answer/HERO4-White-Balance-Setting-Information

However, my understanding is that in camera or post processing white balance adjustment is always going to lead to inferior results compared to a properly used filter.

There's another thread I participated in around here discussing TG-5 and DC2000. In my opinion, DC2000 is the clear winner for still images. If you want video go with the gopro or maybe paralenz. Hero7 just came out (only 4 months after I paid $400 for a Hero6). I haven't even checked it out yet. Hero6 added some really awesome image stabilization. Like almost as good as a real gimbal mount on land - but unlike a gimbal it works underwater too. Gopro also does full on 4k video, if you have a computer capable of playing the video files back once the camera makes them.

There's another option for video that's interesting too: Paralenz. It has a depth sensor and adjusts color correction realtime based on your depth (and also gives you a nice depth OSD if you want it in your videos). I don't own one but I've heard good things. Review: Paralenz Underwater Action Camera – DeeperBlue.com

If you've got tons of money, get a DSLR and a dive housing. That's the best way to go. Although I'm a huge Nikon fan, I'd seriously consider Canon for underwater because they tend to be much better at shooting video. The only problem here is that you're talking several thousand dollars just to get started.

*Quick Hero6 filter Note: The GoPro HERO6 does not require a colored filter to correct the colors when used underwater. The improved Auto White Balance, and the addition of Global Tone Mapping on the Hero6 eliminates the need for a colored filter. Please read our full GoPro Hero6 Review and see our GoPro Hero6 Auto White Balance test video for more details.

From Guide to GoPro Filters for Underwater Video

Prior to the 6, you needed to use filters on all GoPro's. I'm a fan of getting my GoPros from Ebay after the latest model has been released and you can get the previous model at a significant discount.

Back
Top Bottom