Camera setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Julian55

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone have any reccomendations for a decent setup? without breaking the bank?

$1000?

Hi Julian;

For really low cost, you can look into "Intova" cameras, they're relatively cheap and work okay. My girlfriend and I used an Intova 600 for a year or so with decent results before we upgraded. I think the newer ones are better quality. Here's some photos I took in Nanaimo in this post:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/4545015-post5.html

If you're willing to go up to $1000, you can get some better setups. I paid about $750 CDN for a Canon Powershot G10 and matching Canon case, and so far I'm really impressed with it.. (Though I've also added an external strobe). Lots of other people on this board use it, so if you go around the photography sections, there are many sample photos..

Those are just a couple of the options.

My recommendation would be to pick up a used SeaLife DC500, 600, with strobe and wide angle they are bullet proof and are a great starter. You should be able to pick one up for $500. If you like it you will upgrade...so no sense in spending alot on your first rig.

U/O

Caution... underwater photography can be a money pit. I'm using a canon g9 $450.00 bought new off ebay, Ikelite housing with duel handle tray and arms bought used off wetpixel for $600.00 and a inon z240 strobe bought used off wetpixel for $700.00 total $1750.00 so far. Would like to get a wide angle lens and a second strobe.

Pics from my last dive.

Ron L.

i'd like to second r2t's point that photography is a huge money vortex. good luck.

if it's your first camera, go cheap on the picture taking side. get used to the camera and then invest the rest of your cash in a good strobe system. i have an ikelite ds 50 from 2002 and the tray, arm, and strobe have been used with 3 different camera systems. a good strobe will be with you for a long time. Just make sure the strobe you get works with cameras that pre-flash (flash before the actual flash) as well as TTL (through-the-lens) metering if you choose to get an SLR later.

If your looking to buy used keep your eye on the classified section. Sometimes you can find a nice setup if you willing to take some time and have good bargaining skills.
here is and example

Last edited:
Anyone have any reccomendations for a decent setup? without breaking the bank?
Hey Julian. Check out the sea & sea dx1200-hd with YS-27 strobe, wide angle, case, extra battery, etc in the classified's. I was thinking of buying the setup and the guy will take $850 US for the works and include a 2 gb card and shippng to Washington State. He owns a shop and this is a display set up brand new. You will find him as LAKE TRAVIS SCUBA.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom