Camera Rig for Brothers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also not sure if strobes are needed for shots of big creatures far away from you in the blue. I would personally just take the housing and the camera. BDE are serious dive sites, minimise the risk of task overload as much as you can

If I bring my Nauticam Panasonic GH5 to film.. I'm guessing I should then leave the video lights in the boat and CWB + use natural light to film whatever I can film with my 8mm fisheye (requiem sharks in the distance)? That should be appropriate exposure to have decent shots?

Thanks on your feedback and experience :)

A little light on the sharks works better and unless you can just about touch the shark a fisheye is the wrong lens. Fisheye work at very short distance or the suject is to small in the picture. Something in the 16-85 works better for the sharks.

I agree a fisheye will be to wide for 99% of the shark situations, other than OWT that bumps your dome or the odd whaleshark. Not familiar with the vid cameras sensor size and vid slightly diffrent usage from still, but roughly a 16-20 rectilinear lens, prime or zoom, for a ff sensor, equates to a FoV ca 70-90 degrees, is inme a good shark lens in unbaited situations. Fisheye is nice for CFWA-shots, of which there are many opportunities in the Red Sea. All shot with fisheye:

Skärmavbild 2021-08-27 kl. 11.28.13.png
Skärmavbild 2021-08-27 kl. 11.28.52.png
Skärmavbild 2021-08-27 kl. 11.27.49.png

Hey! Looking at a LOB trip to BDE
Do you mind saying which month/weeks this situation happened? Is it mostly seasonal or literally a matter of day to day? Is it 90% of the time easy and 10% crazy currents? Is it based mostly on moon cycles?

Thanks!

I have only been over there twice so i do not have a lot of sample data. I did BDE in May and it was rough the entire trip. Like fall out of your bed at night rough. We made every dive though and it was not terrible. I did the southern route to St John’s which also included Elphinstone and it was like a lake the entire trip. This was in mid October. I have no idea if that is a fair representation of the weather in those areas that time of year but that’s how it was then. I am doing both routes again back to back in September though so fingers crossed it is a bit calmer this time. Two weeks in that heavy chop would not be fun.

A little light on the sharks works better and unless you can just about touch the shark a fisheye is the wrong lens. Fisheye work at very short distance or the suject is to small in the picture. Something in the 16-85 works better for the sharks.
8mm fisheye on a GH5 means 16mm equiv on FF (unless you mean 16-85 for a Micro Four Third system? not FF equiv)

I have only been over there twice so i do not have a lot of sample data. I did BDE in May and it was rough the entire trip. Like fall out of your bed at night rough. We made every dive though and it was not terrible. I did the southern route to St John’s which also included Elphinstone and it was like a lake the entire trip. This was in mid October. I have no idea if that is a fair representation of the weather in those areas that time of year but that’s how it was then. I am doing both routes again back to back in September though so fingers crossed it is a bit calmer this time. Two weeks in that heavy chop would not be fun.

Please let me know when you are back how it went!

I agree a fisheye will be to wide for 99% of the shark situations, other than OWT that bumps your dome or the odd whaleshark. Not familiar with the vid cameras sensor size and vid slightly diffrent usage from still, but roughly a 16-20 rectilinear lens, prime or zoom, for a ff sensor, equates to a FoV ca 70-90 degrees, is inme a good shark lens in unbaited situations. Fisheye is nice for CFWA-shots, of which there are many opportunities in the Red Sea. All shot with fisheye:

View attachment 678906 View attachment 678907 View attachment 678908

The Panasonic GH5 is a micro four third system. 8mm fisheye is a 16mm equiv on Full Frame.

So I'm guessing my fisheye would work for sharks in this case? (16mm fixed fisheye)

Or you'd recommend even tighter?

Back
Top Bottom