Camera Review Input

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bpierce

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
All,
I'm looking at purchasing a digital underwater camera. My experiences are with crappy point & shoots, Sea & Sea MX-5 (which I own), and with a rented Sea & Sea MX-10.

My local dive shop has two digitals I'm interested in; both have great prices since they are being discontinued. The first is the Sea & Sea DX3000G; the strobe recommended by Sea & Sea is also being discontinued (any info on alternate strobes that will work?). The second camera is the Canon S60 w/Underwater Housing; I know nothing about accessories for this one.

Can anyone provide me with feedback (positive and negative) on either of these cameras? I know there is a difference in depth ratings for these camera's; I'm leaning toward the DX300G for this reason since I would like to use the camera on a wreck dive which may take me deeper or to the max depth the Canon is rated for...but this is not a deal breaker.

Thanks in advance.

I hope the price is really good becase the DX3000g has been discontinued for quite some time. Its write time to the card was painfully slow on its highest setting. Why not buy a camera you like and then a housing for it?

Gary,
Thanks for the input. I figure 2007 was the last year of manufacture but I have no idea... looks like I may be off on my timeline. The selling price is over half of it's listed price.

I don't know enough about underwater photography/equipment to really know what to look for in a camera or housing but the option of the camera first than the housing has crossed my mind. I do have camera's I really like but housing's aren't made for them as they're older SLR's.

here is my 2 cents. Look at this website for housings: IKELITE Underwater Systems and see what is available for cameras you are interested in. YOu don't have to get into the expensive DSLR market to get good pictures. There are good point-and-shoot cameras out there made by Olympus, Canon, and Nikon, etc.
Next think about a strobe. There are good ones made by Ikelite to match the housings or you can go with one by Sea & Sea or another manufacturer.
purchasing camera housings, strobes, etc.
B&H Photo Video | Digital Cameras, Camcorders
Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros
Digital cameras, all other cameras and everything photographic from Adorama Camera

I don't like the little camera packages sold at most dive shops (Reefmaster, Sea&Sea, etc.) as I think the cameras themselves are not the best quality with mediocre lenses on them. Get a GOOD camera first, then get a housing for it. If it is a good camera then Ikelite will make a housing for it.

Just my 2 cents.

robin
my husband's photos/my videos: RnR Scuba
we are using an 5yr old Olympus c5050z camera, housing, and 2 Sea& Sea strobes for our underwater photos. It is a point and shoot.

it really depends on how much you want to spend, and how serious you are about underwater photography. i agree about finding a camera you like and then get a housing. if an slr is what you like, maybe you could spring for one of the new digital slr's. you can get them now for under $1000. however, then you have to get different lenses depending on what you want to photograph underwater (macro lens for de leetle feeshes, wide angle for the big stuff, and maybe even a fisheye lens). obviously this can get expensive. any dealer that sells high end underwater photography gear can walk yo uthrough the process. basically, if you want a housed digital slr with strobes, plan on spending a few thousand dollars. if a housed point and shoot with a strobe is the answer, less than a thousand.

Thanks to all for your advise and input.

I think I'll take what I have read/heard here and hold off on a camera purchase until I decided what will be the best route for me and most cost effective...

Good idea to wait. Nothing is more painful than having a camera that is second rate or difficult to use. You have a chance of screwing up some good photo opportunities.

Look at the Canon G9. Seems that Canon's have great color and the G9 has manual white balance and RAW. You can find examples on the board. Canon case or Ikelite okay cases.

Although its a bit large, the G9 seems to be the best P&S out there right now if you can afford it. BTW, if you're going to be doing wreck diving on a regular basis, Ikelite is the housing you need for your P&S. The OEM housings generally aren't rated past recreational depths. Take your time, no sense in rushing things.

It seems that most have recommended a Canon; I've checked out three so far but not the G9.

Does anyone have an opinion on Sony? My wife has a Sony DSC-W1 which is about two years old (I take noce pics) and if I can find a housing for it I can satisfy my underwater camera needs for the moment. Does anyone know of a housing for this camera? I've done some reasearch but to no avail...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom