Camera recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hey all, I have my OW course this weekend and I plan to buy a Digital Camera for my diving excursions so I can share my adventures with my 5 year old daughter and hopefully instill enough interest in her to get her certified when that time comes.

I am looking for:
a Digital Camera, waterproof to a minimum of 130 feet, preferably 2-3 megapixels and I would like for it to have flash, support up to 128-256 megs of memory and be usable outside the water.

I am no stranger to photography or digital equipment, but the whole waterprooof thing is a new twist. Also, I would be curious to know what features other photographers find useful underwater.

I would suggest a Sony compact unit like the P-5 or P-7 for your needs. They are great cameras on land and utilize Carl Zeiss lenes which are hard to beat. Sony's marine pak is a great unit and not overly pricey.

I would go with the Olympus 5050 camera in the PT-015 housing for under $1000. if you shop for it. There is not much still around in the 2 or 3 megapixel range. They are already outdated, not that there is anything wrong with them. I'm still using my Oly 2040. Check out all the posts on this site for opinions on digital underwater housings/cameras:shades:

Hello,

You should visit this website: http://www.dpreview.com/
Here you can find lots of information about digital camera's and reviews of users.

My husband and I have just bought (today) the Olympus 5050 with the PT-015 housing.

Good Luck,
Dominiek

Back
Top Bottom