Camera Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cruzbound

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi there,
I am thinking about getting a camera for scuba diving - those disposal ones do not work past 10 feet. I do not want some big camera with strobes, lights, etc. but I want something that may take a decent picture if I see something cool. Does anyone have any recommendations? I am not very techny so the easier it is to figure out the better. We will be going to Hawaii in November so I would love to buy one before our trip.

Thanks for all the help!

I would suggest looking at a good used camera, maybe an older model. One of the first rules of UW is "not if it floods, but when." An older model will allow you to make mistakes without the big $$ hit of a new camera. Technology has come so far, yet a camera of say 5 yrs old is still very good. Heck, the model I use is closer to 10!

There is a lot more to be read on this subject here Underwater Photography

There are several factors you need to consider. How much of a camera do you want and how much are you willing to pay? SLR cameras actually cost less than their corresponding underwater cases. Many of the pocket digital point and shoot cameras have generic underwater cases for a reasonable price and somewhat less than the cost of the camera. You can also go the cheap route until you decide you want better results. Find an older model and look for it on Ebay or an internet shop for a discounted price.

I would go with a canon s95 or s100 with a canon housing.

They take great shots in the "auto" underwater mode, but have full capabilities if you want to start advancing into manual controls.

The canon housing is inexpensive and works well. The cameras shoot hd video if you want. You can add strobes if you want.
I started with a canon s90 (it doesnt shoot hd video though so that's why I didn't recommend it) Topside its a small camera you can tuck in your pocket.
It also shoots raw. Even if you don't know what that is now you should go ahead and set it to shoot that way so in the future you can come back and work with your photos once you learn about it.

I have a dslr for land use but I don;t want something that big and expensive underwater yet. Now I have a RX100 with nauticam housing for underwater use. Its really great for it's size, but it is not very forgiving and you really need to shoot manual most of the time in dark water like I dive.

---------- Post added August 2nd, 2013 at 02:54 PM ----------

oh. and there is always a gopro. they take pretty good stills or you can stick it on your head and let it record.

Beware though that you will need to edit all that video after the fact and people are getting kind of tired of shaky head cam footage from go-pros. But if its just for you to document your trip and show your family etc, then they are great.

Back
Top Bottom